Forums

Birmingham Division 1 - 2016/17 - Update

Sort:
DBowcott
The bdcl first team played its last match of the season last night, away at Walsall. The result was a slightly disappointing draw.

There were early draws on boards 2, 3 and 6 (Stewart, Malcolm and Dale), which seemed sensible match-planning as that left Keith and Nick (who have both scored heavily all season) and John Edge to battle for 2 points from the remaining 3 games.

Unfortunately John had drifted into a poor position and his attempts at a tactical recovery didn’t work. Nick levelled the score with his 10th (yes, tenth, to go with 2 draws) win of the season. So we all stood around seeing if Keith could first equalise and then convert a draw into a win on top board. Time and material was short (R and 3 v R and 3) but we were hopeful that a way would be found. Congratulations to Darren Wheeler who kept his cool and found a draw.

So the team finishes the season with 20 league points from 24. A sterling effort. We are guaranteed at least the runners-up spot (and there’s a trophy for that) and must wait to see if Sutton Coldfield can overhaul us. They have 3 matches left and need 5 points to be champions. Four points would see a play-off match for the title and 3 would see us champions! It will be tense for them and a tense wait for us.

Match reported by Stewart Fishburne.

So, a nail biting end to the season as we await Sutton's fate. Can they keep a completely clean sheet and win the Birmingham League? It will be well deserved if they do. Our first team have played exceptionally well and help make us all proud to be part of such a prestigious club. Whatever happens, we can give them all a pat on the back for a season hard fought.

I'm hoping to get hold of Nick's notation sheet. I'll share it here if I do.