Forums

Game 2: Botvinnik-Capablanca, 1938

Sort:
ECHOOooo

Today's game is a rather famous battle between Mikhail Botvinnik and Jose Capablanca, from the 1938 AVRO tournament.  The following photograph was taken at a match in Moscow, two years earlier (Capablana is on the left): 

From the Wikipedia:  

The AVRO tournament was a chess tournament held in the Netherlands in 1938, sponsored by the Dutch broadcasting company AVRO. The event was a double round-robin tournament. The eight players generally regarded as the strongest in the world took part: World Champion Alexander Alekhine, former champions José Raúl Capablanca and Max Euwe, future champion Mikhail Botvinnik and challengers Paul Keres, Reuben Fine, Samuel Reshevsky and Salo Flohr. Keres and Fine tied for first place, with Keres winning on tiebreak by virtue of his 1½-½ score in their individual games. Capablanca, who had only lost 26 tournament games over a span of 29 years, lost four games in this event. He had suffered a mild stroke during this tournament and his ill health was largely responsible for this poor performance.

The tournament was apparently organised in the hope that it would provide a challenger to Alekhine, but it was not an official Candidates Tournament, and World War II dashed any hopes of a championship match for years to come. However, when FIDE organised its 1948 match tournament for the world title after Alekhine's death in 1946, it invited the six surviving AVRO participants (Capablanca had also died), except that Flohr was replaced by Vasily Smyslov.

About this game, Garry Kasparov wrote: "... Botvinnik played what was altogether the 'game of his life' against Capablanca. It was not just that it was judged the most brilliant in the tournament and to be worth two first prizes, but it was even suggested that, by analogy with the 'immortal' and 'evergreen' games, it should be called 'peerless' or 'classical'!" 

I recommend playing through this game using the www.chessgames.com "Guess the Move" chess training tool.  If you are not a member of chessgames.com, you can simulate/self-score by awarding 3 points for each move by Botvinnik that you can guess correctly.  Optional:  You can fine-tune your simulated version by awarding 1 or 2 points for OK moves and deducting the same for poor alternatives (using your own judgement or a chess engine, such as Rybka or Shredder).  
FYI, here's what chessgames.com has to say about their "Guess the Move" tool:

Welcome to Chessgames.com's revolutionary chess training tool, Guess-the-Move!You can review some of the greatest chess games in history, move by move, and try to guess what move the winner played each step of the way. It's a fun, challenging, and competitive way to improve your chess. It's almost like playing against a grandmaster.
Your "opponents" will be some of the strongest players in history. When your GM opponent makes a threat, you'll have to decide how to counter it. And to win the game, you'll have to decide how and when to strike! More than a training tool, it's also a game: you accumulate points based on the merits of your guesses, and at the end, you'll receive a final total score. You can gauge your strength by comparing your score against those of other Chessgames members.
 Studying grandmaster games by guessing what move comes next is an excellent way to get better. Some of the world's greatest chess coaches recommend this technique as one of the key methods to improve your chess.

Please reply to this forum with your scores and comments about the game.
Feydaway

This is THE game, isn't it?  One of those timeless battles that wins the hearts of many a chess player and turns them into a chess lover!  30. Ba3!! is something I've read in a few books.

But, let's look at something earlier...

I don't want to dwell too much on the early, early moves - after all, this game is from a time when not as many lines were 'known' and I'm no expert at openings...

But, what about 12. Bb2?  Anyone understand what Botvinnik's plan is with this move?  He doesn't move that Bishop again until the aforementioned Ba3.  So, why does he do this instead of Qd3, threatening the black Knight?

ECHOOooo

I finally got the chance to play through this one myself. What a great game! As I normally do, I used the chessgames.com Guess The Move chess training tool, and scored 73 vs par of 74 on this game. I also noted it was previously featured as a Game of the Day on their site. I encourage everyone to really concentrate on finding the best move as you play through each move of the game. Awarding yourself 3 pts for each correct guess will approximate the chessgames scoring and provide a little motivation to do your best.

Feydaway - I had the same thoughts on that 12.Bb2 move. That seemed to be a particularly bad square to choose for the Bishop.  And you're right...30.Ba3!! was truly amazing.

ECHOOooo

I stumbled upon an EXCELLENT YouTube video of this game Presented by Life Master A. J. Goldsby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuxGRu5KaqQ

gfaq

Feydaway, I thik that the idea for 12.Bb2 is very simple. This is the bad bishop (the one of the same color as your chain of pawns). It can not go to d2 for obvious reasons, so the only square where it can go is b2. (a3 blocks his own pawn) It is on the way to connect the rooks and sooner or later it has to move (for exemple to allow 16.Rae1. I don't see much else on this move, a quiet move.

A great game.  very interesting the way he slowly moves the king to a safe position at the end of the game.

Mir14
[COMMENT DELETED]