Forums

Initial Outreach to Physical Club Members - March 19, 2020

Sort:
NJ_Greg

The message below was sent to all known email addresses for participants in the Saturday Monmouth County Chess club meetings at the HQ Branch of the Monmouth County Library. 

--------------------

Hello All,

I know that this is not the best time to think about chess, and chess club meetings. And, there is no rush for you to respond to this message.

However, given the current COVID-19 pandemic it is clear that the Monmouth County Chess Club that normally meets on Saturdays at the HQ Branch of the Monmouth County Library system will not be meeting for at least the next few weeks. We also have to deal with the departure from the area of Jim Mullanaphy who has done such a wonderful job of running the club for many years now.

I know that Jim has made arrangements for someone to take over the club (Dan M., I believe). I, and several others have volunteered to help with that, and will do so if and when things return to normal and we can resume meetings.

In the meantime, I’d like to set up a way for us to communicate with all interested parties, and I’m also planning to set up some virtual events on chess.com (where you can set up a free account, if you like).

To that end:

• Please reply to this message, indicating whether you want to be kept on the email-list I will maintain (please include your full name). If you don’t respond, you will not be on the next distribution for any future messages.
• Also let me know if you are interested in joining a virtual ‘club’ on Chess.com to correspond to our regular club. The purpose for that is to organize virtual tournaments, and other online chess activities. I’ve set up that club (just the bare minimum, for now: https://www.chess.com/club/chess-club-of-monmouth-county), but you probably will not be able to access it without an invitation. If you would like an invitation, let me know your chess.com user name. I am NJ_Greg on chess.com.

Note that I may be slow to respond, as I will be tied up for the next two days. And, that means no events this weekend. However, it is my hope to set up some sort of virtual event for next Saturday, March 28. With luck, more will follow.

Best regards,
--Greg