Forums

September 2014 Issue

Sort:
DanielRensch

Coul it be more awesome?

http://www.chess.com/article/view/the-masters-bulletin-september-2014

First things first, what do you guys think of the new design?

http://grab.by/Awiu

- designed to quickly get everyone where they need to go (Master's Section, Amateur's / Beginner's Section, For Everyone, etc - with Anchor Tags!)

- clear descriptions of each article / column

- plus it looks sexy Wink

Thoughts (from subscribers and non-alike if you see the image! How can we make this better???)

Secondly, Dan Heisman's column was all we thought it could be and more. This *really* feels like the "rounded out content" we needed for tournament players around 1200-1600 level.

Thirdly, lowest price we've ever had. Now:

• $19.99 3 months
  • $34.99 6 months
  • $59.99 1 year

And yes, that's in Dollars not Euros Surprised

My review:

Would love to know what games Erwin l'Ami feels *could* have made the honorable mentions list so we can review them. His choices were awesome, but I'd like to know the other gems from the Olympiad that maybe not everyone saw?

Wonder if Hari thinks the ...Bf5 King's Indian will continue to see life at the top levels, or if it was just a phad, aberation for some surprise purpose?

Sounds silly to say, but I thought Arthur and Robert's columns were the best yet! Great fun with "Mickey's Bishop" (and really instructive) and I thought the tandem endgame was suprisingly more instructive than we thought. That's what happens when you combine Super GM approach / technique with Amateur's making half the moves Tongue Out

Anyway, I'll try to get the authors to comment on the questions here for you all!

Danny

PS - Loved Negi, Dzindzi and Ehlvest's work too! In fact, Ehlvest may have just delievered the best Tips for Beginner's we've ever had. Really instructive stuff, well thought out, and well organized in the presenation. Here's a peak: http://grab.by/Awj2

mthomas859
[COMMENT DELETED]
MikeKlein

I liked the tabs - helps you know which articles are most likely going to appeal to you (but I read the whole thing anyway).

"Beginner" means I read on a plane.

"Master" means I need to read with a chessboard in front of me Cool

mthomas859

The subscription page only shows euro's. How do you subscribe with dollars?

PeterDoggers

@mthomas859 

It doesn't really matter; your credit card or Paypal will convert?

PeterDoggers

I'm based, but I think we got a bunch of pretty good authors out there, all together in one Bulletin.

mthomas859

I subscribed this morning. Have my account & Password, the bank sent my money. What happens next?

mattchess

I like the new layout and I am a big fan of the new column by Dan Heisman - great addition

GMharikrishna

@danielrensh 

I am certain that Bf5 in various move orders will be seen at top level games. A good weapon to surprise your opponent and get unclear positions! you can use it in bullet ;)

DanielRensch

I WILL USE IT IN BULLET! GREAT IDEA! Laughing

Thanks Hari!

erwinlami

@DanielRensch Candidates would be Kovalenko-Anton Guijarro and Meshkov-Pantulaia. Both crazy games where I had no clue what was going on!

DanielRensch

Awesome. Thanks Erwin.