Forums

What if you had to attack your Opposite first in FFA? Would it be the death of Teaming?

Sort:
BroncoB

null

The screen shot above is after openings moves which are below.

The hypothetical rule changes are as follows:

• Players must capture a major piece from the player directly across from them before they may capture any major piece from any other player.  
  • Anything above a pawn is a major piece.
  • Therefore pawns may still be taken by anyone as usual.
  • Pawns may still become queens.

Here is a PGN example:

1. Ne1-f3 .. Na5-c6 .. Nj14-i12 .. Nn10-l9
2. g2-g4 .. b7-d7 .. h13-h11 { Blue is trying to get Bishop open to attack Green. no need to worry about Yellow Bishop since yellow has not taken a major piece from Red. } .. m8-k8 { No need to worry about bishop just yet...since Red has not taken an opposite's major piece. }
3. Nj1-i3 .. d7-e7 { Blue appears to make a run for a Queen … perhaps to use in combo with Knight to attack Green? } .. Ni12-h10 .. k8-j8 { Green starts to think like Blue but remember anybody may attack pawns. }
4. Ni3-h5 { Red's thoughts are on Yellow's unprotected Knight. } .. b8-d8 { Blue doubles down on move for a Queen. } .. Bi14-e10 .. m10-l10 { Green feels that Yellow will attack the Red knight soon with his Bishop so Green decides to attack Yellow's pawn. }
5. Bf1-i4 .. Ba6-c8 { Blue now sees the push for a Queen backfires and must find a way to attack Green because it looks like Red and Yellow will swap pieces soon. } .. k13-k12 .. Bn9-l11
6. Qg1-g2 .. Bc8-e6 .. Be10-g8 .. Bl11-e4
7. Bi4-j5 .. Be6-d7 .. Bg8xBj5 .. Be4xNc6+
8. Qg2xBj5 .. Bd7xBc6 { All players have now accomplished taking an opposites major piece...which way will the game go now? }

(in case you dont know how to load pgn: 1) copy the pgn.  2) open 4pc page and click start game.  3) from the pull down menu select Analysis Board.  4) click Clear and then paste the pgn. 5) click Load.  

Thoughts anyone?

Would the Teaming still happen after these moves?  Probably would...oh well it was a good idea when I woke up lol. 

Runranw
maybe idk i think so
Runranw

i think not

JonasRath

Pretty sure that would cause games to start with all 8 knight pawns being captured, making for a weird dynamic later on.

Skeftomilos

This would actually facilitate teaming, because early capture of an opposite heavy piece would be a tremendous advantage in the opening. You could then checkmate a side opponent pretty easily with a sole queen. Your queen would be immune! For this reason teamers would help each other to make the mandatory capture as early as possible, while non-teamers would defend against the aggression of their opposite (and lose horribly shortly afterwards).

BroncoB

@skeftomilos please share your PGN analysis.

BroncoB

Or, once at least one person took a major piece of his opposite then the game continues as it is played now.  Very interesting tactics for those who decide not to take but are still in great position perhaps to quickly turn the table.   

Skeftomilos

Blue is checkmated in 2 moves by Yellow (according to the initial set of rules).

1. h2-h4 .. b10-c10 .. g13-g11 .. m5-l5
2. Bi1xb8 .. Ba9-b10 .. Qh14xBb8#

Skeftomilos
BroncoB wrote:

Or, once at least one person took a major piece of his opposite then the game continues as it is played now.  Very interesting tactics for those who decide not to take but are still in great position perhaps to quickly turn the table.   

Green is checkmated in 4 moves by Red (according to the modified set of rules).
1. g2-g4 .. b10-c10 .. g13-g11 .. m5-l5
2. h2-h4 .. Ba9-b10 .. Bf14xm7 .. Bn6-m5
3. Bf1xm8 .. Na10-c9 .. Qh14-g13 .. Nn10-l9
4. Qg1xBm7#
The PGN is invalid because Red's 3rd move puts Green in check in normal FFA, but there is no check in the variant.

GustavKlimtPaints

So artificial

BroncoB

Regarding comment #8

you are correct

BroncoB

Just trying to spur on thought.  

BroncoB

Auto Claim Win isn't going to be implemented.

Anonymous names probably won't be either.

Chat will still be left on.

So here I was just trying to create something or inspire someone else to tweak this in a way that slows down teaming in FFA.

BroncoB

I forgot to add that scoring will not be changed anytime soon either.

Someone mentioned in another thread that perhaps only the winner should receive positive points.

There was some merit in that.

BabYagun

> Auto Claim Win isn't going to be implemented.

Yes, it isn't going to be implemented any time soon. (Would it prevent teaming up?)

> Anonymous names probably won't be either.

It may be implemented.

> Chat will still be left on.

Yes, it will. But any player can turn it off at any moment, even at the very beginning of a game.

> I forgot to add that scoring will not be changed anytime soon either.

It may be changed. But it should be a change that solves some current issue.

> only the winner should receive positive points ...

> There was some merit in that.

Bill13 offered that change, but after discussing it he changed his mind and asked to strike the scoring change. If you have some arguments supporting that change, you can write them in that thread. We should see that 4PC community supports this change, before implementing it.

Skeftomilos

I was about to comment that some of these ideas could be implemented as custom games. But then I realized that hiding the names of the players you have just invited doesn't makes much sense. Neither makes sense to change the scoring for games that are meant to be unrated!

BroncoB

@BabYagun Thanks didn't mean to make it sound like I'm not enjoying the games as it is.  Been out of country on Holiday as you may say and was reading a lot of the posts that talked about the teaming issue.

@Skeftomilos Thanks I put about zero time in that analysis and it showed but there was something there if tweaked may make sense.  The opening would be dramatically different than we have now.