Forums

Most durable weighted plastic set?

Sort:
DesperateKingWalk

Do not do any of those things to the design of the Ultimate Chess Set. That is what makes the Ultimate set the Ultimate chess set. grin

The bigger head pawns and bishops have been slightly modified for easy handling in blitz games.

The design is a slightly modified Fischer Spassky chess set design.

And the design is near perfect.

AwesomeAtti
upsidedownfork wrote:

I like the ultimates but if you were making an improved version I have a couple suggestions.

The Ultimates are based on a Jaques of London design used for the 1972 WCC. There's always room for another high-end plastic set that uses another design with the integrated weights. I agree that the Queens on the Ultimates are pretty pointy. Dubrovnik based designs are known for stability too and might be a nice option. No need for historical reproductions, just a Dubrovnik design.

Can't wait to see what's planned.

DesperateKingWalk
AwesomeAtti wrote:
upsidedownfork wrote:

I like the ultimates but if you were making an improved version I have a couple suggestions.

The Ultimates are based on a Jaques of London design used for the 1972 WCC. There's always room for another high-end plastic set that uses another design with the integrated weights. I agree that the Queens on the Ultimates are pretty pointy. Dubrovnik based designs are known for stability too and might be a nice option. No need for historical reproductions, just a Dubrovnik design.

Can't wait to see what's planned.

"No need for historical reproductions, just a Dubrovnik design."

The Dubrovnik is a historical design, and older then the Fischer Spassky design.... happygringrincry

ShelbyLohrman
upsidedownfork wrote:
ShelbyLohrman wrote:

Our industry is dominated by vendors who don't listen to what the consumer needs. In the next year or so I will be coming out with my own weighted tournament chess set with a weighting system similar to the Ultimates. I have that slotted behind bringing my clock back to market under my brand, Chess Gorilla.

I like the ultimates but if you were making an improved version I have a couple suggestions. I always thought the bishop and pawns seemed too bulbous and made the set look sort of cartoony. I love the wide base on the pawns though, I hate pawns that obey the 4 per square rule. Also I would prefer a queen that doesn't have sharp points on the crown. I've always liked the dubrovnik style queen for that reason.

If you notice, the tips of the Ultimate queen do not have the sharp points. That is just annoying to have a set that can draw blood on you.

Ad for the Bishops and pawns with the bulbous heads, that is one of the things that makes the Ultimate Unique. It leads to easier handling and let's be honest, the more beef on the piece, the sturdier it is.

I do have something in the works in the next year for all of you chess set aficionados. I am going to keep it close to the vest for now but I am working on bringing back a classic set that everyone loved with the same weighting system the Ultimates have. I am sure most of you will be pleasantly surprised.

Hope everyone is having a great start to the summer.

Do any of you find it weird the guy that made the video has not rebutted my statements? I was looking forward to showing off my chops.

thanks and God Bless!

Shelby Lohrman

DesperateKingWalk

Exactly!

And they did not really think this through. If you make the Ultimate chess set a Dubrovnik design. This would not get rid of Bobby's name on the Ultimate Chess Set.

You would still call it Bobby Fischer's Ultimate Chess Set. Since the Dubrovnik design is GM Fischer's stated all time favorite chess set design. cry

And was used in the 1992 WCC rematch of Fischer Spassky.

facecards

It's been awhile since I've posted. Hi again everyone!

I'm not a professional. Heck, my chess skills don't even make amateur! That's alright though. I just love the game of chess. It's so much fun and I have a nice little collection of books in my library I fiddle around with from time to time to try and get a little better.

I'm not really a collector. In fact I only own one wooden set (Noj) and wooden board (made by a local guy) and this set is mainly a display piece in my home library.

I primarily play with plastic. I own two Legend Alegria chess sets and three of the Ultimate V3 sets. Both are great sets. I can't say anything bad about either of them.

However, I would certainly have to give an advantage to the Ultimate pieces. They are just outstanding in my opinion. I find them more fun to use. I also bought a few of the roll up boards and some storage bags from Shelby when he was with ACE and he was just a super great guy on the phone.

I have some limited experience playing with other plastic sets that my buddies own and I just believe the V3 are the best. Just my opinion. Worth as much as you paid for it!

AwesomeAtti

I'm not suggesting to change the name or design of the Bobby Fischer Ultimate Chess Set. I don't even know if Shelby still owns the rights to this anyways (but that's not the point).

I expect a new design and a new name but the same weighting system.

I'm also not suggesting a faithful reproduction of a Pocek or Maurovic design. Just because Fischer liked a particular Dubrovnik set, was photographed playing with it or even helped popularize it doesn't mean a set that is inspired or influenced by any Dubrovnik sets should or would be named after Fischer. Nonetheless, Fischer's history in chess isn't disputed.

TundraMike

If I had to take a wild guess my thought would be a Drueke like set with the new weighting system. That in itself would be collectable, just like the Ultimate 3 set. That set was a classic.