Forums

2014 World Chess Championship Candidates Tournament

Sort:
Red-Ear-Slider

Who will win the 2014 World Chess Championship Candidates Tournament?

• Viswananthan Anand
  • Vladimir Kramnik
  • Peter Svidler
  • Levon Aronian
  • Veselin Topalov 
  • Seregy Karjakin
  • Dmitry Andreikin
  • Shakhriyar Mamedyarov
niceforkinmove

Anand, if he plays.

rolex575

Anand or Kramink. Probably Anand.

janniktr

Kramnik or Aronian, Aronian slipped up in the last one. Though if Anand has the will he will make it.

DarknisMetalDragon

Aronian. Anand has a chance though since he does well in tournament championships. Most likely Aronian, though. I hope its him, brucause he is catching up to Carlsen and he most deserves the title of champion since he is the third best chess player of all time .

Luvrug

Aronian.

DarknisMetalDragon

Aronian might break Kasparov's record. He has a chance. Aronian might even be the next champion in 2014. I hate Carlsen, so let's hope the winner of this is someone Carlsen won't do well against.

Scottrf

Surprised to see votes for Anand. It's pretty clear to me he doesn't have the strength to win these sort of tournaments anymore, struggles to get wins. As the last few votes, Aronian and Kramnik seem like favourites, but Topalov could be a danger man.

DarknisMetalDragon
Scottrf wrote:

Surprised to see votes for Anand. It's pretty clear to me he doesn't have the strength to win these sort of tournaments anymore, struggles to get wins. As the last few votes, Aronian and Kramnik seem like favourites, but Topalov could be a danger man.

I'm going for Topalov or Aronian. Forgot Topalov was in it. I'm for Topalov now since if he wins the 2014 championship, then he won't be looked at as someone who didn't deserve a World Championship title. The Classical champions have a better reputation as being the rightful champion. I want Topalov to be one of those rightful champions.

Chessman265

Aronian. Aronian has the best chance for battling with Carlsen for the crown.

rupeshm

Aronian.

octavianpage
[COMMENT DELETED]
Ben_Dubuque

The smart money is on aronian the dark horse is kramnic

AngeloPardi

It would be stupid to rule out Karjakin (winner of Norway Chess last year ahead of Aronian, Anand and Topalov) or Svidler (who came shared third with Aronian last year, and also won the Russian superfinal ahead of Kramnik).
Topalov had an amazing performance in the Grand Prix Serie.
Kramnik was shared first last year, and also won the world cup.
Aronian is the rating favourite and seems to be in good shape (athough he is irregular).

I think the winner will be one of those 5. Anand and Mamedyarov are outsider.
Andreikin... 

reboc
AngeloPardi wrote:

It would be stupid to rule out Karjakin (winner of Norway Chess last year ahead of Aronian, Anand and Topalov) or Svidler (who came shared third with Aronian last year, and also won the Russian superfinal ahead of Kramnik).
Aronian is the rating favourite and seems to be in good shape (athough he is irregular).

Andreikin... 

Yup, this seems like a good assessment. Andreikin also seems unlikely since he did so well at World Cup mostly due to blitz wins.

fabelhaft
reboc wrote:
AngeloPardi wrote:

Andreikin... 

Yup, this seems like a good assessment. Andreikin also seems unlikely since he did so well at World Cup mostly due to blitz wins.

And simply because he is the by far weakest player in the field, more than 120 points behind Aronian. I think the bottom half will consist of Andreikin, Anand, Mamedyarov and Topalov.

DarknisMetalDragon
fabelhaft wrote:
reboc wrote:
AngeloPardi wrote:

Andreikin... 

And simply because he is the by far weakest player in the field, more than 120 points behind Aronian. I think the bottom half will consist of Andreikin, Anand, Mamedyarov and Topalov.

Anand's not as bad if you compare him to Kramnik's rating. My top half is Veselin Topalov, Vladimir Kramnik, Viswanathan Anand, and Levon Aronian. Anand's not likely to win, but he's more likely to win than the other four in the bottom. Aronian will be the winner since he is over 40 points ahead of anyone except Carlsen which is a huge difference when it comes to that top level. Aronian is also increasing quickly and he's playing the best chess of his life. My favourite match would be Aronian-Carlsen. This is the perfect time for Aronian vs. Carlsen.

MrDamonSmith

I think Kramnik has a very good chance. I pick him to win.

blackpug
Aronian, he's been playing very well and I think he's at his all time highest rating? It'd be really interesting to see the number 1 and 2 square off. Is it just me or does it seem like we don't hear much about Topalov and Mamedyarov much?
rhaynesy

kramnik and aronian