Forums

1865 Official Staunton Broadbent Chessmen

Sort:
Eyechess

A short while back, I acquired this set from The Official Staunton Company, specifically Carl.

https://www.officialstaunton.com/collections/chess-pieces/products/1865-official-staunton-chessmen

Our club began a G/90, d/5 tournament last night where I used this set for the first time in rated play.

The board is a folding Palisander wood board with 2.25" squar from The House of Staunton.

The clock is a V-Tek 300, and I am using a Plycounter scorekeeping device.

phpQB9lcj.jpeg

phpP0TKVr.jpeg

phpqc152V.jpeg

phpipODHp.jpeg

phpzgcqqC.jpeg

phpyuXCtc.jpeg

phpCayCAX.jpeg

phpmaM5lf.jpeg

This set is a real pleasure to look at and play Chess with.

It is very well weighted and balanced.

The finish is also very well done.

The thing I noticed while playing and assessing it at the board is how broad the bases are, making it ideal to play with.  I really noticed the Knight's bases for some reason.

The fellow I played with also commented now nice the set was to play with, after the game.

I must say that Carl and his Official Staunton Company gives the best value and quality for the price.  In other words his sets are lower priced for the same quality sets as places like The House of Staunton.

As mentioned elsewhere, they are having a January 30% sale which makes their sets a very nice value.

I am happy to have this set in the rotation of my sets for nicer sets to be used in slower time control games.

fightingbob

If you asked me to estimate the cost of this set, I certainly wouldn't say $200.  The House of Staunton needed some competition, I think they have it in The Official Staunton Company.

That said, The Official Staunton Company needs some new photographs to promote their products.  For example, Ron's photos make the boxwood look natural whereas TOSC photos make the light pieces appear to be egg-shell White plastic.  I would have passed on this set because of this, whereas with Ron's post I'm seriously considering a purchase.

Eyechess

I did not identify this set, a month or two ago, with your review back in May.  Your review gives a better view than mine.

I remember when the prices went up at OS.  And I agree that buying on sale is more the true value, at least to me.  However comparable HoS sets are still higher priced.

You may recall me winning that drawing Carl had awhile back.  Well, I did not want an Ebony set.  So I found this set on their site as being one I could use.  Carl sent it to me and without me asking also sent me their Fischer reproduction board to make up the value difference. 

I really like that board as well and will post pictures at a later date.

CE208

This debatable marketing ploy of naming different era Jaques style sets after noted players, which Frank Camaratta proudly lays claim to being the originator of, is at least usually (if loosely) corroborated.

Q:  What does the year 1865 have to do with R.J. Broadbent?

I see where HoS makes some claim that he was 'presented' with a Jaques set on some occasion, but the pieces seem to look like 193O's vintage Jaques.

Eyechess

That's a good question.

In the description on the Official Staunton page they say it is a reproduction of the Jaques Staunto Chess set circa 1925.  The only mention of 1865 is in the title of the set, interesting.

I like the more rounded top of the Kings on this set as well as the broad bases which make it very suitable for playing.

CE208

Well, Carl hails from Old Blighty so maybe it's a patriotic tribute.

It's a nice set for sure.  You guys do take great pix, way better than on the various vendor websites.

Let's skip the Ray Keene set though. 

ESP-918

Nice looking set except chess board , too dark in my opinion and cheaply made with corny metal corners.

Audioq
darwinwasright wrote:

so the date 1865 is actually a marketing lie told to the public

Probably. Although many sets sold today have somewhat misleading/unusual descriptions. Nevertheless this looks like a fantastic set and a very good copy of the c1937 Jaques set. I agree that the pictures above are significantly better than those posted on the different vendors sites. I wonder if these are still available and would fit ok on a 2 1/8" board?  

Eyechess
Haverumwilltravel wrote:
ESP-918 wrote:

Nice looking set except chess board , too dark in my opinion and cheaply made with corny metal corners.

You dug up a 3 year old post to trash his board. What a guy.

Well, I got that set from Carl himself.  So I hope he says it is a nice set.

The board is a lesser expensive Polish folding board from HoS.  I had to put the corner protectors because when the corners got hit, the light color of the underlying wood shows through.

I believe that is a Wenge wood.  Today, I use a Rosewood tower board from Colorado Woodworker.

ESP-918
Eyechess wrote:
Haverumwilltravel wrote:
ESP-918 wrote:

You dug up a 3 year old post to trash his board. What a guy.

Well, I got that set from Carl himself.  So I hope he says it is a nice set.

The board is a lesser expensive Polish folding board from HoS.  I had to put the corner protectors because when the corners got hit, the light color of the underlying wood shows through.

I believe that is a Wenge wood.  Today, I use a Rosewood tower board from Colorado Woodworker.

I see I see

Show us some new pictures of your new set ups if you can , that would be great