x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

1940's Soviet Tournament Weighted Chess Set

Today a fabulous 1940's Soviet Tournament Weighted Set arrived from the Ukraine.  Kings measure 4 3/8" in height with Pawns just over 2 1/8" in height. The slender finely turned  wide base pieces are a visual pleasure. The knights are much better carved than those found  in most other Soviet sets.  Please check out the really nice unique King's finials. I have never seen any other Soviet set with this type finial. I have supplied may pictures of this gorgeous set for your perusal. 

Part 2

Part 3

Truly stunning! Thanks for posting such a fine set.-happy.png

Very nice!

magictwanger wrote:

Truly stunning! Thanks for posting such a fine set.-

You're welcome Mark

AKovyazin wrote:

Very nice!

Thanks AKovyazin

Very striking set of pieces. I especially like those spires on the Ks

verylate wrote:

Very striking set of pieces. I especially like those spires on the Ks

Thanks verylate, Im glad you like the set

Exceptionally good looking set 😁

Never have liked the swapping of the colors of accessorized bits wink.png...it's like a bad graphic designer who uses horrible fonts and animated GIFs on a website...garish and unnecessary.

Impractical wrote:
    Exceptionally good looking set 😁

Thanks NM Impractical, I'm glad you like it

VERY sharp!! Almost like Sea Horse Knights happy.png.  I like the extra turning of the Bishop's collars. 

Ronbo710 wrote:

VERY sharp!! Almost like Sea Horse Knights .  I like the extra turning of the Bishop's collars. 

Thanks Ron. yeah those Knights have a "sea horse" appearance. I have a vintage Bortvinnik-Flohr II set arriving soon with "goose neck" Knights.   Agreed, the Bishop turnings are pleasing.  

What a beautiful set! Nice photography!

joenightshade wrote:

What a beautiful set! Nice photography!

Thanks for the compliment Joe,  glad you liked the set

Sorry for being a bit late to the party (been away from all things internet for a few days), but I just have to say "Wow!" This set is simply gorgeous, Mike. Thank you for sharing!

The set is absolutely stunning!....I was considering the CB Russian repro(similar) but not going to happen.I like "This style" far better!

lukef240 wrote:

Sorry for being a bit late to the party (been away from all things internet for a few days), but I just have to say "Wow!" This set is simply gorgeous, Mike. Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome Luke, I'm glad you enjoyed it

magictwanger wrote:

The set is absolutely stunning!....I was considering the CB Russian repro(similar) but not going to happen.I like "This style" far better!

Thanks Twanger!

Online Now