Forums

Argentina 1978 Olympic Chess Pieces

Sort:
cgrau
Alv-maria wrote:
Alv-maria wrote:
Alv-maria wrote:

My father was captain of Uruguay in the 1966 Havana olympiada tournament. He received a table/marble board and chess set. Unfortunately i no longer have the table but still have the board and chess set. I am looking to get an appraisal. alvmaria@videotron.ca 

Wow! Would you please post portraits of each of the pieces so we can see their detail? What happened to the table? Many thanks.

Ronbo710
Alv-maria wrote:
Alv-maria wrote:
Alv-maria wrote:

My father was captain of Uruguay in the 1966 Havana olympiada tournament. He received a table/marble board and chess set. Unfortunately i no longer have the table but still have the board and chess set. I am looking to get an appraisal. alvmaria@videotron.ca 

Here's an earlier post about that even in 1966 showing many pics AND another set just like yours ... Laughing   https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/havana-1966-chess-olympiad-videos?page=1

informaticacobach29

Some pictures of my argentinian Olímpico...

phpeRsMDx.jpeg

phpz9IAb7.jpeg

phpg0tYNx.jpeg

phpw3ozT9.jpeg

phpdW8ims.jpeg

phpz63K5Y.jpeg

phpA7WYZl.jpeg

phprYvjfF.jpeg

goodknightmike
informaticacobach29 wrote:

Beautiful set informatic, thanks for sharing

cgrau

Gorgeous, Manuel!

Ronbo710

Beautiful Example !! I like how some sets have a gloss finish and some are matte.

UpcountryRain

Beautiful set informaticacobach29. Thanks!

informaticacobach29

@goodknightmike

@cgrau

@Ronbo719

@UpCountryRain

Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad you liked the pictures. I have another 2 sets coming: the Olímpico King and the "improved" Olímpico (like the set used on the Polugaievsky - Korchnoi match of 1982)

jvreij

Hello Informaticacobach29 and others

Did you know that at the Olympiad of 1939 in Buenos Aires there was a "Fenolit" (kind of Bakelite) set in the Jaques Staunton manner? I'm only not sure that that set was actually used and still look for more information. For instance see at my site http://www.schaak-museum.nl/americas/ame-argentina/

I thought it could interest you and if you have more information on the set then please let me know.

jvreij

On that page you see a set designed for Unicef. Those were sold at the Olmpiad of 1978.

BeepBeepImA747
Most trash set I've seen in my LIFE.
informaticacobach29

@jvreij

Thanks for sharing that information, I didn't know they had used a bakelite set in the "Torneo de las Naciones de 1939". I found this picture of Sonja Graf and Vera Menchik:

null

I'm almost sure that that's an argentine chess set. The profile of the knight is unmistakable. I'll try to find more information. 

By the way, your web page is very interesting. 

Best regards!

informaticacobach29

I looked more closely to the pictures on your webpage, I guess the picture I posted above is the proof that those sets were used in the 1939 Chess Olympiad.

Look at the box of the next picture:

null

That knight looks like a "Magistral" knight :-)

Fer8799

nice info, thanks icobach!!!

alexmares50

Has anyone ordered the casa Zanzi set?  i was just wondering about the logistics of getting it to the US. thanks

informaticacobach29

Alex, basically you have to send a message to the seller asking if he is willing to ship the chess set outside  the country. These kind of shipments involve a lot of bureucracy, and they have to go to a special office where there are customs officers who inspect everything.

Not every seller is williing to do this task, because it implies a good amount of time.

alexmares50

Alex, basically you have to send a message to the seller asking if he is willing to ship the chess set outside  the country. These kind of shipments involve a lot of bureucracy, and they have to go to a special office where there are customs officers who inspect everything.

Not every seller is williing to do this task, because it implies a good amount of time.

thank you. i will send them another email. i sent one but have not received a reply

informaticacobach29
alexmares50 escribió:

thank you. i will send them another email. i sent one but have not received a reply

Could you get the Casa Zanzi set?  

alexmares50
alexmares50 escribió:

Could you get the Casa Zanzi set?  

working on it.  they are out of stock 

anfon23

I have, this beautifull set, modelo olimpico campo, if you need more pictures, request me.