Forums

Chess clock app

Sort:
jjl21

I really enjoy playing blitz chess OTB when I get a chance (not that chess.com isn't bad :P ) and we've been using our phones as game clocks. I wasn't all that happy with the free apps out there so I went and coded my own for fun.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timecontrol.jl

Any feedback from you guys would be much appreciated!

Time Control Chess Clock

Chess clock designed for easily customizable time controls and a clean, functional interface.

Features
Chess Clock
•Sleek, clean interface.
•Choose between 7 preset color schemes or create your own custom layout.
•Vertical and horizontal orientations.
•Millisecond timing resolution
•Multitouch support
•Dynamic time-bar displays each player's relative time remaining at a glance - also acts as a pause button. The time-bar can be hidden.
•Choose starting player's side.
•Customize a warning alarm for when your clock runs low.
•Move counter (can be hidden).
•Visual indicator (optional sound, unique to each player) for current player.
•Pause the chess clock at anytime.

•Full screen can be used to toggle clock (for users with smaller screens)
Time Controls
•Fischer, Bronstein, Hourglass increments, Time per Move and Simple delay.
•Period timing (Add time after a certain move number, in addition to changing increment type).
•Handicap time controls.
•Create, edit and delete an unlimited number of presets.
•Time and increment times can be inputted with the keyboard (max time unlocked)

Misc.
•No ads, no in-app purchases, everything is unlocked for all users!
•Unlimited license (free forever).
•Auto-pause if interrupted during a game (Phone call, text message, etc,).
•Written in Python using the kivy library (kivy.org).

Requirements
•OpenGL ES 2.0 (Android 2.2 minimum).

ollave

Thanks! Looks pretty decent, and I've just removed the two chess clock applications I had installed; one didn't have a horizontal mode, and one didn't get Fischer increments right.

I wouldn't mind being able to "hide" the provided "standard" time controls, but that's very nit-picky. Good job!

(Yes, I had to figure out to press enter/return or whatever the equivalent is to get the name for a custom time to stick, and it wasn't immediately obvious that the "resume or quit" when the centre is pressed paused the clock; maybe a pause symbol there? Beyond nitpicks: looks good.)

jjl21

Thanks for the feedback! If you don't like the default time controls you can always delete them (Top righthand corner of the edit menu for each time control). I thought I coded it to have a tooltip (explaining that you could press the timebar to pause, delete timecontrols in the edit menu, etc.) the first time you opened up the app, I'll take a look at it and make sure it isn't bugged.

ollave

Thanks for the explanations. If there was a tooltip, I missed it; I may have.

The standard time controls are good to have, but ony one of the matches anything I regularly use, so I'll probably tidy the others away. Mostly I use "real" chess clocks, but at home with no clock bashing blitz players or when visiting my nephew I'll aways have my phone handy.

Well done again on a nice clean application.

jjl21
*Updated

Version 0.8
•Timebar can now be hidden (minimized and normal sizes can also be selected).
•Pressing the back button during a game will now pause and prompt to quit.
•The selected increment type during clock setup is now displayed.
•Clicking a selected increment type again will unselect it and change back to sudden death.
•Period timing now adds time correctly after selected move when using a Bronstein increment.
•Other misc. fixes
Mikill

Is the app supposed to be able to disable screen timeout automatically? It doesn't on my phone (Android 4.1.2).

Otherwise a very nice app.

Mr-Twist

Same here - great chess clock app, but the screen does blank in Android 4.1.2. 

jjl21
*Updated

Version 0.82
• Wakelock has been properly enabled - phone screens will no longer timeout after inactivity.
• Sound indicators are now unique to the player, the volume had also been increased.
• Changing a time control's name will now save after selecting out of the text input instead of having to pressing keyboard enter.
• Fixed a rare restart bug.

Thank you to everyone who kindly pointed out various bugs!
hithesh1111

http://www.chess.com/download/view/mobile-phone-chess-clock

Mikill

Thank you for the update. Glad to see wakelock now working. I have one feature request: an optional countdown sound for the last 10 seconds on the clock.

MrEdCollins
Mikill wrote:

Thank you for the update. Glad to see wakelock now working. I have one feature request: an optional countdown sound for the last 10 seconds on the clock.

Ideally, an optional sound when the clock reaches "x" number of seconds.  The user, of course, can specify what "x" is.   Some players may wish this notification to be heard when 20 seconds remain, for example.

jjl21
MrEdCollins wrote:
Mikill wrote:

Ideally, an optional sound when the clock reaches "x" number of seconds.  The user, of course, can specify what "x" is.   Some players may wish this notification to be heard when 20 seconds remain, for example.

Good idea!

DrNyet

So make an iOS version already or give someone permission to do so.  Laughing

Mikill

Nice update today with the new sound warning Smile

jjl21
*Updated

Time Control Chess Clock
Version 0.9
• Time and increment times can now be inputted with the keyboard (max time unlocked)
• Choose between 7 different color schemes or create your own custom layout.
• Added Time per Move (TPM) increment
• Can customize a warning beep for when your clock is low.
• You can now change the increment type and duration for period timing.
• Move counter can be hidden
• Fullscreen can now be used to toggle clock

Thank you to everyone who kindly suggested new features!
jjl21
Mikill wrote:

Nice update today with the new sound warning 

Thanks for the idea Laughing

guardianx9

This apps is awsome

ScatmanP

Could be cool to add an option for black to start the timers like "real" clocks, but that's kinda nitpicky. Really great app!

gdm1995

If you want a free and easy-to-use chess clock with all the most common and used features, you can download this android application on your phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=giulio.di.maria.chessclock.google.

Regular updates will be released and suggestions or personal features are accepted and welcomed!

Hope you'll enjoy it! happy.png