Forums

Database for Fritz 12 and Rybka 3?

Sort:
Musikamole

I'm ready to purchase Rybka 3 and Fritz 12 for post mortem analysis and playing against a computer. Also, I'd like some database to keep everything organized and be able to run searches.  I don't have anything but chesspad to save pgn files, and my folder system is getting to be quite a mess! Laughing

www.chessok.com  sells different Rybka/Aquarium bundles,i.e., Rybka/Aquarium and Aquarium 2010. It's confusing.  www.chessbase.com sells Rybka 3, Fritz 12, ChessBase 10 and ChessBase Light.

Question: Would one database work with both Fritz and Rybka, or would I need to purchase two databases?

Last: There's Deep Rybka 3 and Rybka 3. Do I have a multiprocessor to run Deep Rybka? I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop 1545. This is what my computer says:

Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 Ghz, RAM 3.00 GB

System: 32-bit Operating System, Windows Vista

Thanks for the geek sqaud input in advance! Smile

philidorposition

Rybka and Fritz 12 are engines. You may think of them as engines of a car. GUI's, however, are different, they are interfaces (cars) that run engines.

If you purchase Rybka or Fritz from chessbase, they will have the same GUI, but the different engine. So there will be no difference in their handling of databases.

So, you don't have to purchase two databases.

There's one thing I don't understand though, why purchase them both? Rybka is much stronger than fritz, and they have the same GUI as I mentioned.

As to your other question, yes, you do need a multiprocessor computer to run Deep Rybka, and you have one (hence the Dual-Core) ! Smile

Just make sure you don't get Rybka Aquarium (the convekta GUI for the same Rybka engine) instead, it seems you don't have much experience with this and aquarium demands too much of that.Smile

Musikamole
philidor_position wrote:

There's one thing I don't understand though, why purchase them both? Rybka is much stronger than fritz, and they have the same GUI as I mentioned.

Just make sure you don't get Rybka Aquarium (the convekta GUI for the same Rybka engine) instead, it seems you don't have much experience with this and aquarium demands too much of that.

Thanks for the response. Smile 

Why get Rybka 3 and Fritz 12? I would like to do post mortem analysis with Rybka and play computer chess using Fritz.

Rybka can't play chess against a human without purchasing something extra. I'm not sure what yet, but the demo for Chess Assistant 10 w/Rybka 3 failed to work on my computer. CA10 enables a human to play against Rybka and is also a database. Price: $89.00. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Chess Central is running a sale on Fritz 12 for $51.95. It doesn't come with a database, but I watched a youtube video of some of the features and it looks like a lot of fun.

1. It has Hotness and Mate-O-Meter guages, like on race cars. CoolLaughing I can't see past a mate in one or two. The Mate-O-Meter will tell me if it's mate in 5 or 6!   

2. Twelve hours of video lessons: The video material introduces you to world class Grandmasters like Alexei Shirov, Rustam Kasimdzhanov, Vladimir Kramnik, Vishy Anand, even chess legend Garry Kasparov. Sold!  Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding databases: What do you guys use?

Just make sure you don't get Rybka Aquarium. Why?  Aquarium is only $39.95.

Chessbase 10 Mega Package: $359.95 List Price Our Price: $295.95  

Chessbase 10 Starter Package: List Price: $239.76 Our Price: $199.95 

ChessBase Light 2009: $59 Euro. I can only find this product at www.chessbase.com

ChessBase Light 2009

Save,edit and copy games
Create and edit Datatabases
Get program Updates for ChessBase Light Premium
No database limit
Search position in Online Database with
4,2 million games
Multiboard kibitzing on playchess
Extended engine interface for Fritz 10 and UCI engines

So, Chessbase Light 2009 sounds like all I need for now, but it may not work with Fritz 12?

VLaurenT

Are you sure Fritz 12 doesn't have database features ? Older versions of Fritz did... Surprised

philidorposition
Musikamole wrote:
philidor_position wrote:

Just make sure you don't get Rybka Aquarium (the convekta GUI for the same Rybka engine) instead, it seems you don't have much experience with this and aquarium demands too much of that.

Thanks for the response.  

Why get Rybka 3 and Fritz 12? I would like to do post mortem analysis with Rybka and play computer chess using Fritz.

Rybka can't play chess against a human without purchasing something extra. I'm not sure what yet, but the demo for Chess Assistant 10 w/Rybka 3 failed to work on my computer. CA10 enables a human to play against Rybka and is also a database. Price: $89.00. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Chess Central is running a sale on Fritz 12 for $51.95. It doesn't come with a database, but I watched a youtube video of some of the features and it looks like a lot of fun.

1. It has Hotness and Mate-O-Meter guages, like on race cars.  I can't see past a mate in one or two. The Mate-O-Meter will tell me if it's mate in 5 or 6!   

2. Twelve hours of video lessons: The video material introduces you to world class Grandmasters like Alexei Shirov, Rustam Kasimdzhanov, Vladimir Kramnik, Vishy Anand, even chess legend Garry Kasparov. Sold!  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding databases: What do you guys use?

Just make sure you don't get Rybka Aquarium. Why?  Aquarium is only $39.95.

Chessbase 10 Mega Package: $359.95 List Price Our Price: $295.95  

Chessbase 10 Starter Package: List Price: $239.76 Our Price: $199.95 

ChessBase Light 2009: $59 Euro. I can only find this product at www.chessbase.com

ChessBase Light 2009

Save,edit and copy games
Create and edit Datatabases
Get program Updates for ChessBase Light Premium
No database limit
Search position in Online Database with
4,2 million games
Multiboard kibitzing on playchess
Extended engine interface for Fritz 10 and UCI engines

So, Chessbase Light 2009 sounds like all I need for now, but it may not work with Fritz 12?

There are still some misconceptions here, Musikamole. As I said earlier, the chessbase GUI for Rybka and Fritz are identical, so you can play games against rybka without any problem, it's exactly the same as you could play games against Fritz.

Chess Assistant is the database software of Convekta, and it's different. For example, you can't play games against Chessbase either. 

For database softwares, Chessbase Light should be good enough for you. All chessbase family products work with each other.

And I repeat. Don't purchase both Rybka and Fritz. Purchase only Rybka, which is a lot stronger.

Musikamole
philidor_position wrote:

There are still some misconceptions here, Musikamole. As I said earlier, the chessbase GUI for Rybka and Fritz are identical, so you can play games against rybka without any problem, it's exactly the same as you could play games against Fritz.

Chess Assistant is the database software of Convekta, and it's different. For example, you can't play games against Chessbase either. 

For database softwares, Chessbase Light should be good enough for you. All chessbase family products work with each other.

And I repeat. Don't purchase both Rybka and Fritz. Purchase only Rybka, which is a lot stronger.

I got it! Thanks for your patience. Smile ChessBase Light for Database and Rybka 3 w/ the ChessBase GUI for computer chess and analysis. Cool

philidorposition
Musikamole wrote:
philidor_position wrote:

I got it! Thanks for your patience.  ChessBase Light for Database and Rybka 3 w/ the ChessBase GUI for computer chess and analysis.

You're welcome.

One more thing: actually you can edit/open/save databases or opening trees in Rybka 3 GUI, but you can't perform complicated operations like automatically making an opening tree out of a database or showing detailed statistics.

Chessbase is usually recommended for serious chess players only. Just make sure you need those complicated database functions.

chessoholicalien

I'm using the same .exe file of Deep Rybka 3 under both ChessBase10 and Aquarium 2010. Works like a charm.

The Aquarium database is a lot cheaper than the Mega2010, but ChessBase10 I've found so far to be a far superior program for doing work on/with databases.

Ziryab

Unless you want the annotations and issues of ChessBase magazine, avoid the ChessBasse mega package. The starter pack has the same database, just no annotations.

I bought the ChessBase 8 starter seven years ago for $125. I'm using it still and have kept the database up-to-date through The Week in Chess. Alas, my strongest engines do not run in 8. If I want all the functionality I was accustomed to, but with Sockfish (free engine), Rybka 2.2 (free engine) and the latest Fritz and Hiarcs engines, I need ChessBase 10. OTOH, I can open the Fritz 11 GUI (which came with Hiarcs 12) and access any and all of the databases that I have created in CB 8.

ChessBase light can be had for free--the upgrade is $59. CB light (free) limits the size of each database to 15,000 games (or something like that--the info is on their website). I recommend using it before shelling out more money for the whole package (unless your name is Bill Gates). That way, you learn what you want to do with databases and how to use them effectively.

Musikamole
Ziryab wrote:

Unless you want the annotations and issues of ChessBase magazine, avoid the ChessBase mega package. The starter pack has the same database, just no annotations.

I bought the ChessBase 8 starter seven years ago for $125. I'm using it still and have kept the database up-to-date through The Week in Chess. Alas, my strongest engines do not run in 8. If I want all the functionality I was accustomed to, but with Sockfish (free engine), Rybka 2.2 (free engine) and the latest Fritz and Hiarcs engines, I need ChessBase 10. OTOH, I can open the Fritz 11 GUI (which came with Hiarcs 12) and access any and all of the databases that I have created in CB 8.

ChessBase light can be had for free--the upgrade is $59. CB light (free) limits the size of each database to 15,000 games (or something like that--the info is on their website). I recommend using it before shelling out more money for the whole package (unless your name is Bill Gates). That way, you learn what you want to do with databases and how to use them effectively.

Outstanding posts by all. I'm very grateful. Smile

Bill Gates! Laughing  My wife wants a new sofa ASAP, so I think it would be in my best interest as a husband to get ChessBase Light. Laughing

tintagel

I bouth Fritz 12 and it has a data base with 1,500,000 games. And it also can create new databases with your own played games, with any other games or import other databases. But it does not stadistically analyse the games in the databases.

rigamagician

I would second the recommendation of Chessbase Deep Rybka 3 and Chessbase Light Premium 2009.  That pretty well covers most of what you'll need.  As others have said, the Fritz 11 GUI is identical with Deep Rybka 3's.  The main thing new about Fritz 12 is the skin.  I'm not overly impressed with the videos by Kasparov, Anand et al either.  These guys are excellent players of course, but the videos seem to be mostly them talking in very general terms about their own games or particular openings.  I find you get a lot more from a good book.

matrixreloaded

Hi,

I am also thinking about buying Rybka+Fritz UI+large games database.

But I got a little confused from all this information:

I can download rybka2.2 but with what UI can I use it?

If I buy rybka from chessbase, I get fritz UI? is that like fritz12 UI or something older? do I get the 12 hours DVDs as well there?

Can I open the database from that fritz UI? if I can, then why do I need to buy chessbase-light as well? what extra do I get there? the database? the database updates? the searches? (doesn't fritz UI has good enough searches?).

Can chessbase light integrate Rybka engine? I think I read somewhere it can integrate fritz engine, so if it can't integrate rybka, what good is it to buy rybka with chessbase light, if I can't analyze the games/openings there with a strong engine?

I think there are some more unclear issues but those are enough for now.

Thanks in advance :)

rigamagician

Rybka 2.2 can be used with any interface that supports UCI, eg. the free Arena or SCID, or commercial GUIs such as Chessbase Light Premium 2009, Fritz, Shredder Classic, Aquarium, Chesspartner, ChessAssistant, etc.

Chessbase Rybka 3 comes with the Fritz 11 interface (or to be more precise, you can update Fritz 11 to the same GUI as Rybka 3 for free).

I don't think Chessbase Rybka 3 includes any videos.

Fritz interfaces can open cbh and pgn databases, but Chessbase Light Premium 2009 has a find novelty feature, sortable lists of games, advanced search features, the ability to create opening keys, the Reference pane for seeing the continuations GMs have played from any opening position, etc.  Fritz is mainly for playing against, while Chessbase is more for analysis or working on your opening repertoire.

Chessbase Light Premium 2009 can install any UCI or Chessbase engine, eg. Rybka, Shredder, Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs, etc.

matrixreloaded
rigamagician wrote:

Rybka 2.2 can be used with any interface that supports UCI, eg. the free Arena or SCID, or commercial GUIs such as Chessbase Light Premium 2009, Fritz, Shredder Classic, Aquarium, Chesspartner, ChessAssistant, etc.

Chessbase Rybka 3 comes with the Fritz 11 interface (or to be more precise, you can update Fritz 11 to the same GUI as Rybka 3 for free).

I don't think Chessbase Rybka 3 includes any videos.

Fritz interfaces can open cbh and pgn databases, but Chessbase Light Premium 2009 has a find novelty feature, sortable lists of games, advanced search features, the ability to create opening keys, the Reference pane for seeing the continuations GMs have played from any opening position, etc. Fritz is mainly for playing against, while Chessbase is more for analysis or working on your opening repertoire.

Chessbase Light Premium 2009 can install any UCI or Chessbase engine, eg. Rybka, Shredder, Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs, etc.

Thanks riga that was very helpful. Just a few more question since I am really new with Engines:

Can't I play against the UCI engine using the chessbase light interface? is this option blocked? and if it isn't then what advantage do I get when bying the fritz interface? is it really that significant that it worths the money? Is the difference between rybka 3 and rybka 2.2 that significant for an amateure (though a relatively good one), that it justifying paying for rybka3 while I can get rybka 2.2 for free?

I'm asking all this since it sounds as if buying chessbase light + downloading rybka 2.2 should be enough, unless I am missing something here.

rigamagician

If you mainly want to play against an engine, you could try a free GUI like Arena or Winboard X 7 with Winman and polyglot.  Chessbase Light Premium is for analysis and opening preparation, not for playing against.  It doesn't have clock settings nor the handicap modes found in Fritz, Shredder or Aquarium.

Chessbase Fritz has a bunch of different handicap modes and training features.  Friend Mode tries to adjust its play automatically to match your level.  Sparring Mode plays in a way to give you tactical opportunities.  Handicap and Fun Mode lets you adjust the level and style.  There is a coach that will tell you if you have made mistakes, and offers hints during the game.  Fritz can also analyze your old games automatically, and try to point out mistakes in a way similar to chess.com's computer analysis.

If you are interested in analysis and opening preparation though, Chessbase Light Premium 2009 is a good bet.  SCID is the main free alternative.