Reproduction and Real Jaques of London Chess Set

PiezasDeAjedrez

The first column is pounds £:

(d would be pence right?)

forked_again

Yes d is pence. 15 shillings makes more sense for a chess set. More info on cost of living:

2. These wages reflect weekly pay in the mid- to late '60s (various sources listed below)

• Mail Coach Guard ... 10/0 + tips
  • Female telegraph clerk ... 8/0
  • London artisans ... 36/0
  • London laborers ... 20/0
  • Farm hands ... 14/0
  • Sailors ... 15/0
  • Seaman on steamers ... 16/4

So a chess set like that would cost a weeks pay for a sailor or farm hand.  That's still a bit pricey.

http://www.victorianweb.org/economics/wages2.html

Eyechess

Well I found some historical conversion sites and it seems that 15 shillings in 1860 would be $86 today.

If we go by the salaries then an estimate would be that a set in today money would be something under $1,000.  And it would not be $1,500 or definitely not $3000.

I have found the higher quality playing sets from HoS cost well under $500.  A number of their sets under the $300 mark and more specifically in the mid to lower $100 range to be perfectly great.

The Noj sets I have bought are all under the $600 range and that included shipping.

And my nice Official Staunton sets all cost me less than $400.  And their quality is the same as HoS.

There is also a real argument that all these newer produced sets are of a more consistent and higher quality as those older made sets.

sound67

There are several nice reproductions of 1849 Stauntons on the market that you don't have to pay inflated prices for, like this one: https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/691098650/44-reproduziert-1849-staunton-chess

Anybody who's looking for the exact copy of a set that even its original manufacturer made variations of needs to get a life. 

alleenkatze

It stands to reason that everyone could not afford the luxury of a Jaques set of chessmen unless you had both some disposable income and time to enjoy the finer things in life.  Most people where engaged in the day to day struggle to earn a living and survive.  It would have been an extraordinary situation for a commoner to even get to play with one of these during that time.

Comparisons in the $1K+ range do not seem out of line today for something like this and you could certainly not afford to spend hard earned money until you are established, then as is the case now.  Heaven forbid you save for something special in life.  I would think someone owning these sets would have treasured them greatly.

forked_again
sound67 wrote:

There are several nice reproductions of 1849 Stauntons on the market that you don't have to pay inflated prices for, like this one: https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/691098650/44-reproduziert-1849-staunton-chess

Anybody who's looking for the exact copy of a set that even its original manufacturer made variations of needs to get a life. 

This .

forked_again

This set is kind of growing on me.  I haven't been able to decide if I like the distressed finish.  At first I thought it was overdone, but now I'm thinking with a proper antique looking board it will truly look like a blast from the past.  

I like the Jowly Morphy knights and they look like a pretty close reproduction.  I also like the rook shape and bishop mitre.  Overall a good option from Staunton castle.

TundraMike

It's a matter of preference.  it is up to you.  I would not purchase a set unless I felt it would give me enjoyment.  Some collect just to see who can collect the most of this or that.  I like to play with the set and get enjoyment out of it. If you like the distressed look go for it. Enjoy it and play with it and show it off in your dwelling, have fun.  happy.png

magictwanger

Yo Forked......That set would be killer on the right board! I say go for it.-happy.png

maik1988

Does anyone know what's the deal with House of Staunton's pricing system? They're all over the place and it makes no sense whatsoever. There are 3 different price categories with a whopping 200 USD between them for Fischer Spassky reproductions that basically look identical. Then there's the Sinquefield cup stuff, with a Sinquefield DGT set costing USD 2500,00 (ouch) and something they call the Sinquefield Player's edition at 500,00 USD. They are the exact same set! It even reads on the page of the Player's edition: "Sets will ship September 1st after the end of the tournament", so supposedly both iterations are used by Nakamura Carlsen etc.? What a befuddling website that has become. Are there actually people out there that can make sense of this lol?

Gomer_Pyle
maik1988 wrote:

Does anyone know what's the deal with House of Staunton's pricing system? They're all over the place and it makes no sense whatsoever. ...

I haven't frequented their page for the last couple years but I have purchased a number of sets from them. It seemed to me their pricing system was closely tied to the newness of a particular set and the popularity of any tournament or grandmaster the set was associated with. I once tried to buy a set from their ebay page but was told the set was sold out. I was offered a deal on a prototype antiqued New York 1924 set/box/board combo. I was given a good price because they were still experimenting with the process. A few months later the NY 1924 set had been discontinued but the exact antiqued set was introduced as the London Timeless for hundreds of dollars more than I paid for set/board/box. I now may own the only HOS antiqued NY 1924 set ever sold. Or I own the only London Timeless set with a NY 1924 plaque.

MaximumAbdul
maik1988 wrote:

Does anyone know what's the deal with House of Staunton's pricing system? They're all over the place and it makes no sense whatsoever. There are 3 different price categories with a whopping 200 USD between them for Fischer Spassky reproductions that basically look identical. Then there's the Sinquefield cup stuff, with a Sinquefield DGT set costing USD 2500,00 (ouch) and something they call the Sinquefield Player's edition at 500,00 USD. They are the exact same set! It even reads on the page of the Player's edition: "Sets will ship September 1st after the end of the tournament", so supposedly both iterations are used by Nakamura Carlsen etc.? What a befuddling website that has become. Are there actually people out there that can make sense of this lol?

The $500 Sinquefield sets use ebonized boxwood. The other sets are made of genuine Ebony.

TundraMike
maik1988 wrote:

If you want the sets the players are playing with you will pay for it, simple as that. I believe they say you will get a certificate with their signatures on it and it will say all the contestants of the Sinquefield Cup 2019 played with these. Then you can get the same set with DGT enabled for so much and also can buy the same set without DGT enabled, the lowest price.