Forums

The 1885 Leipzig "Augustea" Chess Set in a Limited Edition

Sort:
utpic

@manfred_scriba_ms07 there is one on sale on eBay right now - the 19/20 one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leipzig-Augustea-1885-Limited-Edition-19-20-Chess-Pieces-Boxwood-Ebony/124454571592?hash=item1cfa120e48:g:1T8AAOSwH-BfvCM1

manfred_scriba_ms07

Well, the starting bid is outrageous. sad.png

jivatman

@manfred_scriba_ms07 , maybe so, though its quality is off the scale, & it does invite Best Offers - everything is negotiable. 

EfimLG47

@manfred_scriba_ms07 - the asking price is definitely well above the price for which it was initially sold. Nevertheless, it is a limited edition of only 20 sets and will not be reproduced. I was told that another one of the lucky 20 was approached by a collector who allegedly offered 1,200 US$ for it, but he did not sell.

lighthouse
jivatman wrote:

@manfred_scriba_ms07 , maybe so, though its quality is off the scale, & it does invite Best Offers - everything is negotiable. 

You mean greed ? At that kind of price would go out buy a real antique jaques !

EfimLG47
lighthouse hat geschrieben:

I am not commenting on the asking price of the set on offer, but comparing it with an antique Jaques is difficult. An antique Jaques set of the same period, with the same dimensions and weighted pieces will hardly be available for this price. I would rather expect a price >1.5k£ for that. Tim Millard is currently offering a Jaques with a king size of 10.2 cm from 1925-1935 for 1,650£, and that is just one example. Further, there are literally hundreds of Jaques sets around, but the reason for the replica of the Augustea set was plainly that no original is known, at least not an original that matches the description in the 1885 Roegner catalogue.

magictwanger

I take it that the nice repro is no longer available?

EfimLG47

@magictwanger - no, it is no longer available as it was limited to 20 specimen which sold a long time ago. When I started this thread I invited everyone to subscribe, but only a few people did. That is why I had to limit it to 20 specimen, because I financed the entire production myself and had to limit my financial risk. Had I known that more people were interested, I would have probably made a slightly larger number.

lighthouse
EfimLG47 wrote:
lighthouse hat geschrieben:

I am not commenting on the asking price of the set on offer, but comparing it with an antique Jaques is difficult. An antique Jaques set of the same period, with the same dimensions and weighted pieces will hardly be available for this price. I would rather expect a price >1.5k£ for that. Tim Millard is currently offering a Jaques with a king size of 10.2 cm from 1925-1935 for 1,650£, and that is just one example. Further, there are literally hundreds of Jaques sets around, but the reason for the replica of the Augustea set was plainly that no original is known, at least not an original that matches the description in the 1885 Roegner catalogue.

Still would rather put that kind of money into a real antique chess set or at least towards it !

No it's not cheap but then what is these's days ?

sleazymate
EfimLG47 wrote:

@magictwanger - no, it is no longer available as it was limited to 20 specimen which sold a long time ago. When I started this thread I invited everyone to subscribe, but only a few people did. That is why I had to limit it to 20 specimen, because I financed the entire production myself and had to limit my financial risk. Had I known that more people were interested, I would have probably made a slightly larger number.

I hope you find another interesting design and make another series because you have an eye for detail and everything in the photos look great. 

EfimLG47

@lighthouse - fair enough. That is the approach I am also following. I made an exception for this one for the reasons given, mainly the fact that so far no original turned up.

EfimLG47

@sleazymate - Thanks! I will probably be considering another set in due time. When I do, I will let you all know and open up a new thread.

manfred_scriba_ms07

Congratulations Dr. Holger. You really did a fantastic job.

EfimLG47
manfred_scriba_ms07 hat geschrieben:

Congratulations Dr. Holger. You really did a fantastic job.

@manfred_scriba_ms07 - Thank you very much, but please leave the "Dr." aside...I am not that vain! wink.png

magictwanger

Time for a new batch.-happy.png