Forums

The face of 100 year old dog….

Sort:
Powderdigit
DelphinSnow wrote:

I'm not a big fan of dog-face knights, but these knights I really like. Their necks are also somehow different. As for the other pieces, I generally like broad bases and slender stems. I quite like the pawn as well with its little pointy head and broad base.

Yes, I find them cute but basic - oh my... how I would love the knights to be the beautiful and classically carved Jacques or similar .. but alas, the fun and basic dogfaces for me. happy
I just looked back to the first set that started this thread and that is quite different - thicker stems, different base .... albeit the knights appear somewhat similar.

Powderdigit

Some more photos under lamplight ….
I find great beauty in pieces like these … and imagining what joy and deep thought they may have bought players of time’s past and perhaps even during the war - thinking about chess puzzles as way distract oneself from the issues of the day.

ItsRedLoaf

Yea you need 100 bucks for that

BrownishGerbil

Very nice find Powder! I'm a big fan of dogface sets and this is a very nice specimen! Check out http://www.chess-museum.com/staunton-style.html page and scroll down to "Slim Stem Chessmen" and meet your sets' sibling.

Powderdigit

Well spotted @BrownishGerbil - thank you! Looks like it may be a Chavet or Roz and mine are a tad taller at 72.4mm. For fun here’s a replica of the photo on the CM site plus a chess game set up from the paper in 1936. Sorry - poor light - it’s nighttime here so not natural light.
I should also mention that four of the pieces 2 white and 2 black have slight cracks in them. It worries me not - they’ve lasted a long time already and they look great😊.

DCthedestroyer

What a cool board

Powderdigit
DCthedestroyer wrote:

What a cool board

Thank you! If you’re really bored - the story of that board is here:Reconditioned board.

DelphinSnow
Powderdigit wrote

Yes, I find them cute but basic - oh my... how I would love the knights to be the beautiful and classically carved Jacques or similar .. but alas, the fun and basic dogfaces for me.
I just looked back to the first set that started this thread and that is quite different - thicker stems, different base .... albeit the knights appear somewhat similar.

I guess, your are right. Maybe they have just been growing on me over the time. Or it is your secret magic superpower again that makes me love every set you post. 😄

Powderdigit

A kennel of dogs 😉 and my three favourite dogface sets.

Powderdigit

My father-in-law has long since passed but he was a photographer who was recently commemorated, with many others, in a publication celebrating photographers in Australia. Albeit he would prefer people in his pictures … to capture life … I feel like he’d be happy with simple shots like these too. Lovely light.