The Mikhail Tal Soviet Tournament Chess Set by EraRetro on Etsy

Bamboo58

The new board arrived.  It has 2.4 inch squares which for me is the right dimension for the pieces. Square colours work really well. Now to find a wooden box large enough to hold the pieces .

null

Bamboo58

null

Bamboo58

null

Rishi9
One question for chess lovers here who have bought both the Dubrovnik and the Eraretro Tal chess set. How does the Era retro set compare with the Noj sets in terms of weighting.

I have read here that Noj Slovenia uses a standard 20 g weight for all pieces. Makes it very ideal as a blitz or analysis set.

How is the weighting in the Eraretro Tal set ?

Thanks
magictwanger

I find the Era Retro set to be slightly lighter in weighting than some of my other sets(I have the C.B. Dubrovnik) but I like that.Basically I'm fearful of overly weighted sets,since they may be more prone to cracking.....The Era Retro set is to die for gorgeous and quite playable.....Also,the ownership of Era Retro are amazingly easy to deal with......As for NOJ.....Without a doubt,I'd love to own one,but I'm not wild about those prices,though fully justified from what I've heard/read.......Good luck.

Ronbo710

Beautiful set Michael. I just ordered the 5" version with the red bottoms like the old Soviet tournament pieces. I missed the last two that Kate listed. Was lucky I used crypto currency transfer to paypal. MUCH faster LOL happy.png .

Bamboo58

I have being playing through games using the set and analysing moves in my correspondence games. A joy to use this set. I have ordered a wooden box and it should house the pieces ok . I am very pleased I purchased this wonderful set.

goodknightmike
Ronbo710 wrote:

Beautiful set Michael. I just ordered the 5" version with the red bottoms like the old Soviet tournament pieces. I missed the last two that Kate listed. Was lucky I used crypto currency transfer to paypal. MUCH faster LOL  .

Thanks Ron, you'll love this set.

magictwanger

This might seem a bit unnecessary,but I'm going to eventually get a nice 26x26x10 inch plexi dust cover to display this and all my sets & boards,without the worry of dust,hands and anything else impeding their beauty.....Just my own way of doing things.

Ronbo710
Rishi9 wrote:
One question for chess lovers here who have bought both the Dubrovnik and the Eraretro Tal chess set. How does the Era retro set compare with the Noj sets in terms of weighting.

I have read here that Noj Slovenia uses a standard 20 g weight for all pieces. Makes it very ideal as a blitz or analysis set.

How is the weighting in the Eraretro Tal set ?

Thanks

That board is a Beauty! I am hoping my vintage Drueke #65 with 2.5" squares will look good with the Tal set. Since the set has a antiqued look to it. My board has a nice mellowed tone too. happy.png

 

magictwanger

I don't have an NOJ set(wish I did) but I was a little surprised how relatively lightly weighted the Era Retro set was.It is well done,don't get me wrong,but not heavily weighted,which I think may be a good thing,as some heavily weighted sets tend to crack more easily....I "think".....Good luck.

QtoQlevel3

@ Ronbo710, this may give you a better perspective on how your set will look on your Drueke board, My EraRetro Tal set sitting atop a "floating playing field" chessboard made by MTM wood. The board consists of Maple and Black Walnut for the playing field and Walnut perimeter boarder and an ebony delimiter. I had Kate put on Green felts to the chess set, but to keep the set more geographically traditional I switched them to the original red. Quite stunning with the antiqued finish she and her husband applied to the set. I think you will be well pleased with the results. 

 

Ronbo710
QtoQlevel3 wrote:

@ Ronbo710, this may give you a better perspective on how your set will look on you Drueke board, My EraRetro Tal set sitting atop a "floating playing field" chessboard made by MTM wood. The board consists of Maple and Black Walnut for the playing field and Walnut perimeter boarder and an ebony delimiter. I had Kate put on Green felts to the chess set, but to keep the set more geographically traditional I switched them to the original red. Quite stunning with the antiqued finish she and her husband applied to the set. I think you will be well pleased with the results. 

Wow! The set and board look made for each other. My set finally cleared Kiev. Next stop New York happy.png