Forums

Aggressive Response to 4...Nf6 in the Scotch

Sort:
Ben_Dubuque

Ok then

this position right?

The_Gavinator

Other than the knight you hung on move 6 it looks pretty good.

Ben_Dubuque

oops arg need to pay more attention

The_Gavinator

5...Qxe4 6. Be2 bxc6.

Ben_Dubuque

Ok, I didn't think you wanted the pawn that badly

how bout

nevermind, you guys are actualy right this time, it does give black an extra pawn, but is it decisive, probably not.

The_Gavinator

It's just simple chess, but losing a pawn usually isn't the best, so looks like the scotch is out. Anyone have a more direct way to get to the fried liver?

Ben_Dubuque

other than the Italian... wait I thought you said no gambiting.

Also you don't have to play Quite stuff when they play Bc5

The_Gavinator

I'm pretty sure you can force compensation from Fried Liver.

CHCL
The_Gavinator wrote:

It's just simple chess, but losing a pawn usually isn't the best, so looks like the scotch is out. Anyone have a more direct way to get to the fried liver?

Black dares not take the pawn because if he does than he is much worse and is under a Very Strong Attack.

Rubidium
pfren wrote:

9.Bxf7+ is of course a blunder typical of whatup's playing caliber. Black could get a winning game with the very logical 10...d5 instead of losing a move with 10...Qb6, but of course 12.0-0?? drops a piece (already mentioned).

There are more mistakes before move nine by both sides... starting from white's second move. I guess nobody is really interested finding them.

I'm surprised the IM is so patient. 

Back to the scotch...

Perhaps you should get a book?

You think Kasparov would play an opening to get a pawn down with no compensation?

This is what wikipedia says about 4...Qh4

4...Qh4!?

Steinitz's 4...Qh4!? almost wins a pawn by force, but White gets a lead in development and attacking chances as compensation. As of 2005, White's most successful line has been 5.Nc3 Bb4 6.Be2 Qxe4 7.Nb5 Bxc3+ 8.bxc3 Kd8 9.0-0, when Black's awkwardly placed king has generally proven more significant than his extra pawn.

Ben_Dubuque

Ok here is the Fried Liver, the line that black can defend fairly well in

The_Gavinator

Actually, I'm pretty certain that white dominates in that variation.

TonyH

actually no he doesnt, BUT Black has to walk a razors edge to gain equal chances its not worth the effort when there are much better options available to black. I studied it a long time because I was showing it to my students. Blacks moves are not always intuitive and whites are almost played at blitz speed. in a coorespondence game black probably wins but otb.... tick tock tick tock 

I will say that IMO the best black defense is gonna be Ncb4... 

The_Gavinator

True, but most people well end up playing Na5, and white still goes up a pawn.

TonyH

and the two knights defense is a legit opening. black has active piece play for the pawn. played by some good gms even today when given the chance

Helzeth

k.

you want a rep with unbalanced chances where you'll be able to attack?

English

gg hf.

Helzeth
AnthonyCG wrote:

He wants an opening where Black has to sit back and die slowly while he has all the chances but that opening does not exist.

Sounds like all my games vs my coach who plays the catalan...

The_Gavinator

You were getting pwned until he hung rook, nice job losing to the worst opening in chess.

The_Gavinator

Well your first issue was move 3, and he had 2 rooks and more pawns.

The KG is easy, play 1...c5

Ben_Dubuque

here is my analysis

My position was easy to play after g3 by you, also I had a decent game after the Exchange sac, which was a nice trick, to bad I saw it comming. as for my technique, it was worse than yours, but the opening does not suck, I gained back my gambit pawn, got an easy position to play, and if I had played the right moves, which are illustrated in the parentheticals, would have gone on to win.

This forum topic has been locked