Forums

Aggressive Response to 4...Nf6 in the Scotch

Sort:
TonyH

@ghandisepiphany define good coach? A lot of coaching is a personaliy thing. I do really well with kids and am very patient with them. shop around , watch some videos and see who you like.

The_Gavinator

I actually used to play the vienna game, that 4...Qf6 line is crushing. But for example: 1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6, the game usually becomes a giuoco pianissimo, and isn't very exciting.

tigergutt

so what variation did you guys decide was a agressive response to 4...Nf6? perhaps im lazy but i dont to read all 542 posts in this thread only to find out that they all where on the parham

The_Gavinator

We found:

1. The Mainline was good enough

2. White goes down a pawn to 4...Qh4, so this is no good

3. The Parham pwns

TonyH

:) I have had multiple masters 2200-2300+ watch me coach kids and all of them compliment me. Teaching is an art unto itself. I have watched GMs not able to coach/teach beginners. Even Dvorestky admits to not really understanding that age group. (earns him bonus points in my book)

finalunpurez

4 .. Qh4 black wins a pawn, but white got better developed and black moved his king. so white got compensation for the pawn. 

The_Gavinator

In the KG, white can't castle and loses a pawn, but apparently that's ok...

Eris_Discordia

After e4 e5 nf3 nc6 d4 exd4 bc4 bc5 ng5, why can't black play d5? (Sorry, if this is a stupid question.)

Topkatz
Eris_Discordia wrote:

After e4 e5 nf3 nc6 d4 exd4 bc4 bc5 ng5, why can't black play d5? (Sorry, if this is a stupid question.)

He loses a pawn.

And I now understand why that position is sort of bad for white. I'd like to thank Tony for helping me see that, instead of pfren who only decides to make me look idiotic.

Eris_Discordia

Thanks.

TonyH

Your welcome Topkatz. I dont mind Pfren's blunt approach. its just a style thing and refreshing at some level. Also his patience has been tried with the mental leeching by the some of posters here. 

The_Gavinator

Well see, that's cuz pfren is cool. Although trying to combat a beast like the Parham can be mentally straining.

Topkatz
joeydvivre wrote:

"After e4 e5 nf3 nc6 d4 exd4 bc4 bc5 ng5, why can't black play d5?"

In case Topkatz' answer wasn't clear - white just plays Bxd5 and black has lost a pawn for a little development = not worth it.

He probably thought after he could play Be6 blocking the bishop, which would lose another pawn. That's the only line that is opened after playing D5, which as you said, isn't worth it.

Edit~ No Idea how to get this message out of the quote :S

Rubidium
TonyH wrote:

Your welcome Topkatz. I dont mind Pfren's blunt approach. its just a style thing and refreshing at some level. Also his patience has been tried with the mental leeching by the some of posters here. 

1+

Anyways, after 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d3 Bc5 you can make it exciting where you play 5.f4!?

This is my opening, I have played it exclusively, and beginners can easily fall into traps. Tell me this isn't cool: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1076122

Eris_Discordia

So after Bc5, what should you play?

Rubidium
The_Gavinator wrote:

Well see, that's cuz pfren is cool. Although trying to combat a beast like the Parham can be mentally straining.

Mentally STRAINING:

The_Gavinator

That's cute.

Rubidium
Eris_Discordia wrote:

So after Bc5, what should you play?

If you're refering to my comment, 5.f4

If you're talking about the scotch, I would play Nxc6. 

Rubidium
The_Gavinator wrote:

That's cute.

No, the Parham is MURDERING, BLOODTHIRSTY, and an UNSTOPPABLE ATTACK.

Restrictions apply. Do not take Parham if you have stomach, liver, or kidney problems. Side effects include not learning about chess, painfull death, or a win in less than 5 moves. Contact your doctor if Parham is right for you. 

The_Gavinator

I remember when I had my first beer.

This forum topic has been locked