Forums

Am I reliving the same game?

Sort:
okmrbill

I feel my play is a variation of one opening and all my games are starting to appear the same up until the 10th …11th move.    Has anyone else experienced this feeling in their play?  I can’t brag a large repertoire of openings, and I do use a few different ones.  But, again I feel I’m living the same game…over and over.  Mostly …I think it’s the curse of 1. e4…  Maybe I need a break, but my play is getting stupid searching for a variety.  Has anyone else experienced this same-game syndrome? 

WEdgards

The point of chess is enjoyment (unless it's your profession). My impression is that this "same game" ness is making chess monotonous for him. In that case, winning wouldn't matter as much.

"I think it’s the curse of 1. e4"

Might be. I don't care for e4 much, unless it's the king's gambit, which is fun. Have you tried it? That ought to liven things up. I know what you're talking about though, I feel a bit like that playing the queen's gambit. If you like, nobody's stopping you from trying something new. And an unrated game to try something out cant hurt you.

Dutch_Defense
RetGuvvie98 wrote: if you want something to be adventurous, try 1. b4 or 1. ....   b5 (not, of course, against 1. c4 in the second case).  on the other hand, that might make a major impact on your opponent - if you dare.
That's kinda like me. If I'm playing black against someone and they play 1.d4 each game, I'll first play 1...f5, then I'll play the KID, then I'll try something else. Against 1.c4, I'll play the KID and then something else. 
WEdgards

My advice is to try as many as you can and see which one "fits" in a way. You know what I'm saying? I was going to suggest b4 earlier!

Though, I don't suggest b5 against e4 or e3. It's not as bad against c4 as you say, however. Hobbs' gambit I think it called.

What do you play against e4, okmrbill?

okmrbill
WEdgards wrote:

My advice is to try as many as you can and see which one "fits" in a way. You know what I'm saying? I was going to suggest b4 earlier!

Though, I don't suggest b5 against e4 or e3. It's not as bad against c4 as you say, however. Hobbs' gambit I think it called.

What do you play against e4, okmrbill?

I play e5 against e4, sometimes b6

mhbat14
huh if u dont like e4 play c4 openings or d4 openings i find them better anyway though learning or even playing without much theory past the basic idea  Bird(1f4) or orangutan(1b4)[any one calls this polish ill cyber stab them in the eye polish is lame orangutan are simian which makes them cool]  is incredible good fun
wdygml

i expirience as u do ,,

to tackle the problem, i sometimes play d4  , c4   and many other types 

it then generally changes the game

for playing those type of games u must read aricles on them

pushingwood
There's lots of way to play the opening, even after 1.e4: king's gambit is a lot of fun, as was suggested above already, danish gambit 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3..., if u want to get crazy, play 1.g4?! (though i think its a pretty bad move), at least u will get a different game, just don't play 1.g4 e5 2.f3....;P
Chessroshi

Just start opening with g4! It is mad killer ninja crazy opening. I promise almost all game will be different! ; )

KillaBeez
Play the Grob (g4) in blitz!  Your opponents will wonder what the heck you are doing and fall for one of its infinite traps.  Even if he doesn't, you'll still get a fun and different line that is full of tactics.
fischer-inactive
For some reason, I have a feeling that you're not using an opening. Just because you play e4 on the first move, it doesn't mean you're playing a specific opening. I also have a sneaking suspicion that you're playing the same opponent(s) who also don't know any book openings.
Loomis

If you play 1. e4, you should see some variety already starting with your opponent's first move:

1. ... e5 Open game

1. ... c5 Sicilian Defense

1. ... e6 French Defense

1. ... c6 Caro-Kann

1. ... d5 Scandinavian 

If you find that all of your opponent's play 1. ... e5 (I use this example because a lot of beginners are taught to play this), then you have the choice of the solid 2. Nf3, the more adventurous 2. f4 (King's gambit), the (potentially) wild 2. d4 (Danish Gambit).

If you opt for the solid 2. Nf3 then you will probably see a few different tries from your opponent, 2. ... Nc6, 2. ... Nf6 (Petroff), 2. ... d6 (Philidor). 

2. ... Nc6 is probably most common for beginners. Then you have a choice again:  3. Bb5 (Spanish), 3. Bc4 (Italian), or a King's Indian setup with d3, g3, Bg2, Nbd2, etc. Each of these options can lead to varied play from both sides.

In short, there's no reason you should be playing the same game over and over. 10 or 11 moves deep the same every time!? If you're getting a winning position, no need to change anything, but I think it's worth looking into a change.

fischer-inactive

Loomis, terrific post.

(Just wanted to add that the Danish Gambit occurs after 3 c3)

okmrbill
Thanks for the advice...still searching for a unique style that suits me....nothing killer yet!  Just can't take the typical center cluster...&...yet old want-to-win-habits resurface and lack of knowing any better ways---guides my play.  I feel thru trial-n-error I have to suffer some new losses to guide my own style of play. 
kolechess

Try the Scotch game not many have studied it so responses are always different and theres so many variations to try>e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 d4 no you were complaining about the curse of e4 but that position can go anywhere.

vinvis
1.g4