Forums

How many rating points is a photographic memory worth?

Sort:
htdavidht

Talking about memory... It is not "My Beatiful Brain" it is "My Brilliant Brain". Probable you confused it with "A Beautiful Mind".

No big deal, still with a photographic memory you could have recall this info whiout this mistake. The same thing is true in chess, people confuse one opening for another and make an inferior move that cost lots of pain the rest of the game. Memoricing openings up to 15 moves worths a lot of points on chess.

I think photographic memory would help to memorice all this info faster than regular memory, and also will recall more acurate.

For this same matter, lest place 2 players of the same level, one have access to a library with houndres of books (or megas) on theory, the other player doesn't have this...

An I am going to watch this Brilliant Mind video, it sounds interesting. After I watch it, maybe I review some of my ideas.

Ziryab
htdavidht wrote:

Talking about memory... It is not "My Beatiful Brain" it is "My Brilliant Brain". Probable you confused it with "A Beautiful Mind".

No big deal, still with a photographic memory you could have recall this info whiout this mistake. The same thing is true in chess, people confuse one opening for another and make an inferior move that cost lots of pain the rest of the game. Memoricing openings up to 15 moves worths a lot of points on chess.

I think photographic memory would help to memorice all this info faster than regular memory, and also will recall more acurate.

For this same matter, lest place 2 players of the same level, one have access to a library with houndres of books (or megas) on theory, the other player doesn't have this...

An I am going to watch this Brilliant Mind video, it sounds interesting. After I watch it, maybe I review some of my ideas.

You are correct. I referenced it correctly yesterday, and then messed it up tonight. Thanks for the corrrection. It is an interesting series and well made.

Eternal_Patzer
The stronger you are to begin with, the more synergy you would get from additional memory. For a master like Ozzie who knows what to do when the memory alone isn't enough I imagine it would be very helpful. For a patzer like me not nearly as much.
pawnking64
Interesting Question. Hard to quantify. I do remember Kasparov saying once on talk show that his memory was his greatest asset to chess. Obviously it is very important, but using a good memory by having good skills (=thinking processes) is the key! So look to develop your technique, however good your memory is. www.ultimatechesscourse.com
erikido23

Ugg...I have been sucked into this nonsense...At least it is killing the too much time I have at work.

If you have a photographic memory then you can assimillate a large amount of materials, such as opening positions etc.  If I could not have to worry about getting to a certain opening position then I could put in much more work on actually working on that position.  Although it could be said that working on the end position will make it easier in getting to it

SimonWebbsTiger
Ziryab wrote:
Common sense is notoriously imprecise, and frequently horribly wrong. It serves us better when it avoids technical jargon. There is no question that a good memory is an asset in the development of chess skill. Likewise, calculation is an important skill. Photographic memory, on the other hand, is a specific talent, and it is one that fills the mind with non-essential distracting information. One major difference I'm beginning to understand between strong club players (my level) and Grandmasters is not so much the positions they examine that I overlook for these are fewer than they were. Rather, the amount of time that I invest in exploring bad ideas that they would never consider accounts for the difference in strength. Distraction by unsound notions is a liability. A photographic memory would have a tendency to increase this sort of distraction. Additional useful skills are necessary to mute its negative effects.

you are definitely right there. I hear it again and again: GMs don't see more than us mere mortals, they see what is essential/relevant in any given position. Along with that, much of what we have to think about was internalised long ago via practice and training and works at a subconscious level in the GMs.

Ziryab
erikido23 wrote:

Ugg...I have been sucked into this nonsense...At least it is killing the too much time I have at work.

If you have a photographic memory then you can assimillate a large amount of materials, such as opening positions etc.  If I could not have to worry about getting to a certain opening position then I could put in much more work on actually working on that position.  Although it could be said that working on the end position will make it easier in getting to it

It would be less nonsensical if you would read the posts that point out the differences between useful memory and photographic. The OP is a reasonably strong chess player, but is wholly confused on the nature of memory.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Nope, a photographic memory would be a great asset, not a liability. What am I missing - you go through the DB once, and then at the board you can virtually go through it? Wouldn't make opening mistakes.

The reason I brought it up is to guide my study habits. Don't get too worked up over the "photographic" part. I can study openings, middlegame plans in general, middlegame plans for specific openings, general tactics, endgames, positional evaluation, etc.

How much are they worth, if by magic I was perfect in that skill?

Ziryab

"Consider the case of Solomon Shereshevskii, a Russian newspaper reporter born in 1905 with the mixed blessing of a photographic memory. He was a synesthete, his mind assigning colors and smells to everything he saw. Shereshevskii could instantly memorize a string of 50 alphabet letters, for example, because each had a distinctive hue and odor. People, however, looked different to him each time because his brain focused on the minutiae of appearance. As the years went by, his mind became so crammed with useless information that he could not establish or maintain relationships, and as social inhibition overwhelmed him, he actually seemed stupid. He was famously miserable with his 'gift'."(emphasis added)

http://www.positscience.com/about/news/archive/neural-enhancement-slippery-slope-neurologists

Ziryab
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Nope, a photographic memory would be a great asset, not a liability. What am I missing - you go through the DB once, and then at the board you can virtually go through it? Wouldn't make opening mistakes.

The reason I brought it up is to guide my study habits. Don't get too worked up over the "photographic" part. I can study openings, middlegame plans in general, middlegame plans for specific openings, general tactics, endgames, positional evaluation, etc.

How much are they worth, if by magic I was perfect in that skill?

When you modify your terminology, your original question can be addressed in a useful way. You continue to maintain the original error, and so that's where the focus remains.

trysts
Ziryab wrote:

".... his mind became so crammed with useless information that he could not establish or maintain relationships, and as social inhibition overwhelmed him, he actually seemed stupid.

Seems like most people I meet probably have the excuse of a photographic memoryTongue out

Ziryab

If you could remember databases perfectly, your OTB skill would match your ability in correspondence chess.

My current Online rating here is 46 points higher than my current USCF. Perhaps you could do slightly better than a 50 point gain.

eddiewsox

There is an actress named Marriette Hartley, she and and a small number of other people can remember every detail of every day of their lives, but these memories are strored away like a file and only pulled up if needed, like we all do. What is the name of this type of memory? 

erikido23
Ziryab wrote:
erikido23 wrote:

It would be less nonsensical if you would read the posts that point out the differences between useful memory and photographic. The OP is a reasonably strong chess player, but is wholly confused on the nature of memory.

It would be less arrogant/condescending of you to not simply disregard what I say because I haven't read the "relevant" posts.  I wasted my time at work reading your drivel(Do you see how effective your form of communication is?  Maybe you are someone with  a photographic memory who wants to prove the reason for your social ineptitude is because of your curse?). 

You simply take hypothesis/opinions and make them out to be fact.  The last post with the guy who had no social skills "because" of his photographic memory....So in this "study" n=1.  I am sure the brilliant scientist you are you know what n stands for.  Meaning you understand that this study means absolutely nothing. 

At any rate, even IF that sillyness did prove the photographic memory was sole reason for him not being able to maintain stable relationships that wouldn't change the fact that the photographic memory could help in gaining rating points of varying degrees, depending on the level,for a chess player (who would then turn crazy like bobby fischer ;P).

trysts
eddiewsox wrote:

There is an actress named Marriette Hartley, she and and a small number of other people can remember every detail of every day of their lives, but these memories are strored away like a file and only pulled up if needed, like we all do. What is the name of this type of memory? 

I think it's called the "I.R.S. memory"Laughing

Ziryab
eddiewsox wrote:

Autobiographical memory

http://www.positscience.com/human-brain/memory/types-of-memory/autobiographical-memory

goldendog
eddiewsox wrote:

Is it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilu_Henner

that you're thinking of, or are there two of them?

erikido23

I tried reading that article.  But, the guy doesn't know what a paragraph is....

Ziryab
erikido23 wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
erikido23 wrote:

It would be less arrogant/condescending of you to not simply disregard what I say because I haven't read the "relevant" posts.  I wasted my time at work reading your drivel(Do you see how effective your form of communication is?  Maybe you are someone with  a photographic memory who wants to prove the reason for your social ineptitude is because of your curse?). 

You simply take hypothesis/opinions and make them out to be fact.  The last post with the guy who had no social skills "because" of his photographic memory....So in this "study" n=1.  I am sure the brilliant scientist you are you know what n stands for.  Meaning you understand that this study means absolutely nothing. 

At any rate, even IF that sillyness did prove the photographic memory was sole reason for him not being able to maintain stable relationships that wouldn't change the fact that the photographic memory could help in gaining rating points of varying degrees, depending on the level,for a chess player (who would then turn crazy like bobby fischer ;P).

I don't care whether you find me arrogant. It appeared that you had not read the posts that had highlighted the error in terminology, so I identified that problem in relation to your whine about nonsense.

The rest of your crass remarks do not merit a response. Rest assured that you are wrong.

erikido23
erikido23 wrote:

I tried reading that article.  But, the guy doesn't know what a paragraph is....

this one that is