Forums

How should you punish irregular/unsound opening moves?

Sort:
feygooner

I often face  opponents online who play very irregular "openings". As white I might face the opening setup e6, d6, h6, a6, b5 and some random knight or bishop moves thrown into the mix. I used to try pawn storms earlier, but that didn't work because they have few structural weaknesses. Now I try to complete my development and then play h4, g4, f4 etc, but that doesn't work as well as I wish it does (I often let the opponent build a counter attack and then succumb to it while my pieces are busy attacking his king. 

Example game -

Is that the right way to approach it or am i doing something wrong?

PLAVIN81

I with anthonycg=you have no control over your oponents opening move=he is a new player and will learn from your game

OldHastonian
feygooner wrote:

Is that the right way to approach it or am i doing something wrong?

Playing 6.Be3 seems too negative...pushing one of the centre pawns, d5 or e5 (possibly castling first) would be my plan when Black has not yet developed a piece.

Daeru

Usually playing sound/regular moves will be enough to get a big advantage

Dark_Falcon
Daeru wrote:

If chess would be so easy...only moving after a certain pattern vs. irregular or unsound openings most time ends in a loss!

Daeru
Dark_Falcon wrote:
Daeru wrote:

If chess would be so easy...only moving after a certain pattern vs. irregular or unsound openings most time ends in a loss!

I didn't say it'd be easy, but how can playing "sound" moves end in a loss? 

TheLovableRoguette

As an amateur, sometimes I have no idea how to open a game. You've got to cut us some slack :)

opticRED

and I thought this opening is irregular and odd enough already Cool

richardep

You just have to learn some standard responses to the Grob, Polish or Dutch, otherwise you will lose. The From Gambit for black is full of traps if white opens with f4, b4 is easily countered with e5, bxb4 then nf6 for black. Queenside wing opening attacks can be met with c5 by black. Black should be careful against e3/d3 but generally you can advance pawns and put one on yourKb3 to support the king pawn.

iused

When you have a lead in development I think it is usually a good idea to open up the position.