x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Is 1.f4 a playable opening?

  • #121
    Drawyah wrote:

    I have played the Bird Opening for decades with good results, and recently I started to play it again. I am working on a documenting a new scheme on my blog:

    https://www.chess.com/blog/Drawyah

    Interesting enough I have used the Bird Opening against two Bird Opening book authors. First game is against IM Tim Taylor. Oddly, he did not mention our game in his Everyman book.

    Second game was against IM Cyrus Lakdawala, who later wrote a Move By Move book for Everyman. At the time of the game I had no idea Cyrus was a strong player. I was on vacation in San Diego, decided to check out the local club, and thought I was playing a house game against an average club player. The opening worked fine, but he nicely outplayed me in the middlegame. 

    Good Chess! Keith

       But these games are not Bird.One is Sicilian and the other is French defense.

    Unless 1.e4 c5 2.f4 and 1.e4 e6 2.f4 is considered Bird.

  • #122
    Drawyah wrote:

    Interesting enough I have used the Bird Opening against two Bird Opening book authors. First game is against IM Tim Taylor. Oddly, he did not mention our game in his Everyman book.

     

    What would be your move after 3...d5 by Taylor? Seems it transponses into a classical Bird in that case.

  • #123
    LukeLol wrote:
    What would be your move after 3...d5 by Taylor? Seems it transposes into a classical Bird in that case.

    After 1 f4 c5 2 Nf3 g6 3 d3 d5, in the old days, I would play 4 e3 and seek to transposes to my old pet Classical line: 4..Bg7 5 Be2 Nf6 6 0-0 0-0 7 Qe1 Nc6 8 Nc3!?. I have played 8 Nc3 hundreds of times. I put many of my old games against 8..d4, in analysis form, on my blog.

    https://www.chess.com/blog/Drawyah/hayward-bird

    I caution that these games were played before chess engines, mostly correspondence games, so decent quality, but one should do their own detailed study. I should add these old lines have a positional flavor if Black plays properly.

    In the new scheme I am trying to develop, after 1 f4 c5 2 Nf3 g6 3 d3 d5 4 e3 Bg7, I would play 5 g3 Nf6 6 Bg2 0-0 7 0-0 Nc6 8 Qe2 which is the Christmas Tree formation. I have gotten this base position a half dozen times so I am uncertain on true quality, and no doubt I have to improve my middlegame understanding, but regardless, preliminary results indicate the Christmas Tree formation has nice aggressive potential. I am blogging on my efforts, both good and bad. Good Chess! Keith

  • #124

    Don't forget the Polar Bear System. 🐻 I have won many many games with this since very little people study it. I get a fantastic pawn structure, and a vicious kingside attack. Also it prevents a bunch of anti Bird lines. Lately I've been feeling a bit like Santa 🎅 Claus, and playing the Christmas Tree 🎄 setup. Either way the Bird 🐦is the word.

  • #125

    Ivanchuk once said he really admires Jobaava's style. He said that to play openings that aren't mainstream well requires far more work than playing mainlines. 

     

    The comments here, especially the ones giving names to the various systems of development, really drives home Chuky's point.

     

    1.f4 is playable, but don't take it up because you're looking for an easy way out. Black can choose from several different responses while White has to come up with some creative plans of development to try to trip Black up.

     

    Dont play offbeat lines if you're lazy!

  • #126

    SmyslovFan wrote:

    Ivanchuk once said he really admires Jobaava's style. He said that to play openings that aren't mainstream well requires far more work than playing mainlines. 

     

    The comments here, especially the ones giving names to the various systems of development, really drives home Chuky's point.

     

    1.f4 is playable, but don't take it up because you're looking for an easy way out. Black can choose from several different responses while White has to come up with some creative plans of development to try to trip Black up.

     

    Dont play offbeat lines if you're lazy!

    Don't tell me what to do. I'll play the Kadas Opening if I want.
  • #127
    Drawyah wrote:

    Note with the Christmas Tree Bird White is playing 3 e3 and not 3 g3, which I believe provides additional options for White.

    Against the 1..d5, 2..Nf6, 3..c6 start, I think the following game shows the delayed Christmas Tree can be viable against a quick ..Bf5.

    Good Chess! Keith

    What do you think of the sturm gambit variation? 1.f4,c5. 2.c4

Top

Online Now