Forums

Is the Stafford Gambit good or bad?

gregory9310

I've tried the Stafford twice and both of the times they just hung their knight and one of them also hung a bishop(no idea why i'm still here)

gregory9310

yaaaay my first windmill in the stafford:

pfren

It doesn't work even with a reversed colors and a full tempo up (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bc4?! Nxe4 4.Nc3).

Simplest way to deal with it: (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 Nc6?) 4.Nxc6 dxc6 5.Nc3 Bc5 6.h3! and Black's compensation is fictitious. 

LogoCzar

ChessPrix2314
LogoCzar wrote:

I dare you to fight @IMRosen

Knights_of_Doom

I like the system Arjun Puri shows how to stop the Stafford on his video.  White plays Nc3-Qe2-Nd1, then fianchetto the KB and start pushing the center and kingside pawns depending on how black proceeds.  N sometimes goes to e3.  Seems less trappy than the main lines.

LogoCzar
ChessPrix2314 wrote:
LogoCzar wrote:

I dare you to fight @IMRosen

We only played once, but he flagged me from a lost endgame in the London.

Okaychessplayer48

its good

JqH_415g

No, don't play the Stafford, or even the Wayward queen attack. Yes you can make the point at a beginner level it may have a lot of success. But, opening traps are terrible for improvement. 

Sameer_chess-player

heres how to play

it

JqH_415g
Sameer_chess-player wrote:

heres how to play

it

6. Bc4 is a blunder

6. h3 is best

Sameer_chess-player
JqH_415g wrote:

No, don't play the Stafford, or even the Wayward queen attack. Yes you can make the point at a beginner level it may have a lot of success. But, opening traps are terrible for improvement. 

actually, it's good to know sound and even unsound opening traps, for at the bare minimum you NEED to know how to play DEFENSE against them. For example, as white, instead of playing 6. Bc4 and allowing 6...Ng4, play 6.Be2 to prevent Ng4.

Sameer_chess-player
JqH_415g wrote:

heres how to play

it

6. Bc4 is a blunder

6. h3 is best

h3 doesn't develop a piece. 6.Be2 is best

JqH_415g
JqH_415g wrote:

heres how to play

it

6. Bc4 is a blunder

6. h3 is best

Be2 is another option yes

pfren
Sameer_chess-player έγραψε:
JqH_415g wrote:

heres how to play

it

6. Bc4 is a blunder

6. h3 is best

6.Be2 blunders back the extra pawn after 6...Qd4.

White's safest option in those lines is queenside castling, so h3 followed by Qf3, d3,Bd2 etc is the way to go. Or, alternatively, the strange looking 6.Qe2, intending Nd1, c3-d4 etc.

If you want to play Be2, then 5.d3 is more suitable than 5.Nc3.