Forums

kings indian question

Sort:
peterdubec

hey!

I'm qute new to KID and I tried so study some principles of the opening. However I still don't understand some things.

Could you help me out with that? :)

1) When should I use c5 and when e5? What is the main difference? When do you use which line?

I think e5 is better since black in most lines tries to attack on the king side (f7-f5-f4) and e5 pawn is great for support, right?

2) second question is why in the game: 1. d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3. Nf3 Bg7 4. Nc3 0-0 5. e4 d6 6. Be2 e5 white plays 7. 0-0 Nc6 8. d5 Ne7 instead of 7. d5   ?  7. d5 seems for me more logical since it restricts the Nb8 and it only can be developed on d7 which blocks Bc8.

Thank you

Irontiger

1- : the main difference is that ...e5 gives more support to a kingside attack, but ...c5 does not block the g7 bishop. For instance, in the Saemisch variation (White plays f3 and follows by a kind of Yugoslav attack - cf. the Dragon Sicilian) ...e5 is often a mistake because Black has to create problems on the queenside if White castles here.

2- That order of moves is a bit odd. But anyways, White refrains from playing d5 as long as he can because it would block the center ; as long as the center is not blocked Black cannot attack on the kingside by ...f5. Additionnaly, the knight is better on d7 than e7 because it keeps an eye on the c5 square. Sometimes even (7...Nc6 8.d5) 8...Nb8 is played, precisely to play that knight on e7.

EDIT : of course I forgot to mention that ...Nc6, attacking d4, more or less forces d5.

peterdubec

thank you! Btw how did u learn it? Could you advice me some resources u learned this from?

Irontiger

If you still struggle with advanced opening concepts, not specific lines, I recommend Ludek Pachman's book of openings : don't trust the deep lines since theory has changed much since then, but you can learn a lot from it (weak squares, time/material/space trade-off, etc.).

If you are more advanced and seek specific material for this opening, I can't help you. What I've learnt about it comes mostly from my practice.

blake78613

You can generally use either ...e5 or ....c5.  Playing ...c5 often leads to a Ben-oni or Benko gambit type opening.  Most KID players play for ...e5 and  an attack on the King side.  If White clearly commits to the Queenside then ...e5 becomes a race variation that Black doesn't have to be first in order to the win the game.  If White instead of committing to the Queenside plays a blockading system (for instance the Saemisch Attack) or a broad center (for instance the Four Pawn Attack) then ...c5 starts becoming  attractive.  When White doesn't play c4 but, plays something like the Colle, Trompowsky, Torre, Veresov,  or London where he is looking to attack Kingside with a prepared e4, then ...c5 also should be considered.  It is good to know about pawn structures and thematic breaks associated with pawn structures before going deeply into opening theory.

AngryMacrophage

From white's point of view, what sort of plans work well against c5 in when white is using the classical variation setup?