Let's Play: Rank the Bad Opening!

  • #121

    fred defence is the worst

  • #122

    you have mentioned a part of my repertoire!

    actually I have won lots of games with albin , cochrane, and traxlor and in my opinion they are very good opennings if you are not afraid of being down in material

  • #123
    ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

    Order these, from worst to first: Traxler, Budapest, Cochrane, Englund, Halloween, Albin, and the Parham.

    Englund, Traxler, Cochrane, Parham, Halloween, Albin, and Budapest. 

  • #124

    I ranked this in terms of proximity to an equal evaluation with bonus points for variance (complications!). Worst to best:

    1. Englund (-/+)

    2. Halloween (=/+ to -/+, or maybe just -+ if you analyze it to death with a computer in some long complicated line that nobody plays!)

    3. Cochrane (=/+)

    4. Albin (+/=)

    5. Budapest (+/=)

    6. Parham (= to =/+, objectively close to equal, but I like Black's practical chances better)

    7. Traxler (Unclear! Objectively, White may be better, but all the crazy complications push this to the top for me.)

  • #125
    SmyslovFan wrote:

    The Parham, 1.e4 e5 2.Qh4? is a joke opening, but it's not losing.


    I like Black's winning chances after a swift 2...Qxh4, hoping White does not notice he made an illegal move.

  • #126
    Salimi98 wrote:

    you have mentioned a part of my repertoire!

    actually I have won lots of games with albin , cochrane, and traxlor and in my opinion they are very good opennings if you are not afraid of being down in material

    I have won lots of games with utter rubbish, it does not make it any better even to my own eyes.

  • #127
    therearenonamesleft wrote:
    MetalRatel wrote:

    I ranked this in terms of proximity to an equal evaluation with bonus points for variance (complications!). Worst to best:

    7. Traxler (Unclear! Objectively, White may be better, but all the crazy complications push this to the top for me.)

    I think it is losing. I don't know why you would say it is best.

    I know a lot of people claim it is refuted. Taking into account the number of strong players who are willing to play it OTB, at the very least it deserves to be in the top three here. Of the openings listed, this would probably be the one I'd mostly likely play, but I tend to avoid lines with a ridiculous amount of do-or-die tactical decisions and forced draws. I am no expert in the Traxler and play it for neither side. Please register your complaints with Ris and Alterman. ;)

  • #128
    Fiveofswords wrote:

    parham, englund, traxler, haloween, albin, budapest, cochrane 

    I dont understand why you would rate parham highly...i always respond 2...nf6

    Curious - I thought the Parham was 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 -- so isn't 2...Nf6 a blunder because of 3.Qxe5+

    ?

  • #129
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #130

    Not really a blunder, a sac. I don't see the need to sac a pawn against that opening though. But black will get quite a development lead.

  • #131
    ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:
    Fiveofswords wrote:

    parham, englund, traxler, haloween, albin, budapest, cochrane 

    I dont understand why you would rate parham highly...i always respond 2...nf6

    Curious - I thought the Parham was 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 -- so isn't 2...Nf6 a blunder because of 3.Qxe5+

    ?

    In the 365chess online database, 2. ... Nf6 actually has a higher winning percentage for Black than 2. ... Nc6.

  • #132

    FM Dennis Monokroussos has recommended 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Nf6!?:

    http://www.chessvideos.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5912

    It's cute, but maybe a bit unnecessary.

    Also interesting is 2.Qh5 Nc6 3.Bc4 g6 4.Qf3 f5!?. Hint: Taking the pawn is probably dubious.

    Naturally, 4...Nf6 is a simple and strong response. It can be instructive for beginners to see why 5.Qb3? Nd4!-+ is losing.

    If you like to be creative, 2...d6 also scores well. Black can develop the knight to d7 and play ...c6 with ideas of ...b5 or ...d5.

    There a lot of good ideas. Just don't get too creative or overambitious. Let White do that and prepare to reap the rewards. :)

  • #133

    I really don't understand how the albin or Budapest can even be considered bad openings. Many players win and lose with them. It all depends on how experienced each player is with each opening.

  • #134
    happyface79 wrote:

    I really don't understand how the albin or Budapest can even be considered bad openings. Many players win and lose with them. It all depends on how experienced each player is with each opening.

    Well a few spoilsports like to win more than lose...

  • #135

    I don't know that database winning percentages are terribly useful when comparing these openings, because of the selection bias involved.

    My guess is that the Parham is completely equal for black immediately, but no better.

    At least until Carlsen plays it haha

  • #136
or Join

Online Now