Forums

The Bryntse gambit

Sort:
binblaster

This is only really to be played against a higher rated opponent who wants the win against you or if you are happy with a draw because your opponent can draw immidiately with Ke8 after Be6+. If black doesn't want the draw then the queen sacrifice gives white 2 pieces and a bind for compensation. Black's exposed king also helps white get a lot of active piece play.

silentiarius

Interesting. Perhaps Black is a tad better after 5...e6 6.Nc3 a6 7.a4 Nc6 8.Ngxe4 Nd5!?.

mattattack99

2...e6 was originally thought to be best, but now Tal's 2...d5! is the main move.

mattattack99

Funnily enough, Chess.com's David Pruess has some experience here:

mattattack99
hushpuckena wrote:
mattattack99 wrote:

2...e6 was originally thought to be best, but now Tal's 2...d5! is the main move.

When was 2....e6 considered strongest? The only time I ever faced 2.f4 I played 2....Nc6, which was thought best so far as I knew, according to theory at the time of that game (1978), and looked logical to me.

If I am correct when I say that Tal's adoption of 2...d5 made it popular, then your comment makes sense, becuase he didn't play this until 1979:

mattattack99

Although Tal's game played in 1964 did not have the Tal Gambit in its purest form.

binblaster
[COMMENT DELETED]
binblaster
[COMMENT DELETED]