Forums

this is why the dutch stonewall is inferior

Sort:
ajian

aAquila

I usually choose pushing e pawn instead of c pawn (it will keep supporting d5 till the end ) if white does not have a e5 knight.

JariIkonen

Nce4 and engine suggests equal or black slightly better? O_o

Am i missing something here?

and oh. 5... Bb4+ i would play as black.. sometimes. my play is so random anyway. =)

billwall

I usually get this opening position by transposition when I play 1.g3

Eidol

Games between amateurs have no bearing on the playability or inferior or superiorness of openings. You're entitled to your opinion however!

ajian
ajian
[COMMENT DELETED]
ajian
Thechessorcist wrote:

Games between amateurs have no bearing on the playability or inferior or superiorness of openings. You're entitled to your opinion however!

Are you an amateur? I think you areUndecided

NimzoRoy
ajian wrote:
Thechessorcist wrote:

Are you an amateur? I think you are

I also think Thechessorcist is an amateur and so am I...and I still agree with him (for the most part)

Eidol

Yes i'm an amateur and i'm not trying to call an opening inferior after i beat it once or twice. You can find some nice games where stonewall playing GMs beat people at much much higher levels than ourselves, and in fact it is still played at the GM level albeit rarely because it has a high draw % ( i believe)

ThrillerFan

The line given up top is inaccurate by Black.  He has mixed ideas.  Black can castle on move 8, but then should trade Bishops on a3.  Instead, 8...b6, gives Black more flexibility.  He can play the positional ...Bxa3 after White has wasted all that time, or he can play the higher risk higher reward ...c5 at that point.  In both cases, Black is looking for the right time to play ...f4.  The Stonewall is not all about just keeping your pawns on the central light squares.  That's where they start, but a mistake many make is this think this is a rigid pawn structure, and it's not!

electricjellyfish

I thought the Nh3 systems were the reason why the stonewall is inferior, not this.

ajian
Thechessorcist wrote:

Yes i'm an amateur and i'm not trying to call an opening inferior after i beat it once or twice. You can find some nice games where stonewall playing GMs beat people at much much higher levels than ourselves, and in fact it is still played at the GM level albeit rarely because it has a high draw % ( i believe)

White actually has more wins than draws, which is rare in serious openings. 1...d6 and 1...e6 are more popular than 1...f5