Forums

Want solid opening against d4

Sort:
gaereagdag

Go the Tango Cool

1..Nf6 and 2..Nc6 and let him chase you around the dance floor.

Expertise87

I don't move my f-pawn very often in my Slav and Semi-Slav games....

The Baltic defense is pretty risky (not particularly sound either)

Develop your pieces and castle. 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 is perfectly sound, and just develop your pieces to reasonable squares (knight to f6, bishop to f5 if they don't play knight to c3, and pawn e6 if they do, Nbd7, Be7 or Bd6, and castle kingside. if you put the Bishop on d6, watch out for pawn forks on e5)

Immryr
[COMMENT DELETED]
DrFrank124c
S-Bharadwaj wrote:
frank124c wrote:

I like the Phenelomorphin Defense. 

If you wanna reccomend some opening 'no one' knows pls. show some moves after which black is winning.

How can I show  moves when no one knows this opening?

Expertise87
ludrah wrote:
Metaknight251 wrote:

the the Semi-Slav is good.  Also, if you are trying for a benoni, d4 nf6 is the best way to go into it.  

Explain.

If you're asking about the Benoni move-order, 1.d4 c5 is inaccurate because White doesn't have to commit to c2-c4, and Black doesn't get counterplay down the half-open e-file if White simply plays 2.d5 d6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e4.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 commits White to have c2-c4 already played before Black reveals that it will be a Benoni, and gives the added option of the Benko Gambit 3...b5 (which is by far the most common move in this position) as well as the modern Benoni with 3...e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 where Black will play g6, Bg7, O-O, and Re8.

ElvisFord

The Baltic Defense arises after 1.d4 d5 2.c4 Bf5!?, and if you are tired of suffering on the Black side of the Queen's Gambit, then the Baltic Defense can change all that.

Expertise87

It has the drawback of being unsound, and therefore not 'solid' as asked for by the OP.

ElvisFord

I have not heard of an outright refutation. You call unsound that which is offbeat. The OP opponents willl likely not know the theory for him to get into trouble with the Baltic.

The Chigorin, and Albin are also very playable.

Expertise87

ElvisFord the line posted above, as well as the simple 3.Nc3 e6 4.Nf3 c6 5.Qb3 leads to a clear advantage for White. I believe Watson cited 3.Qb3 as an outright refutation if White knows his stuff as well.

ElvisFord

There are traps in the Dutch for black to be wary of. Here is one of them.

ElvisFord

I was premature with the Chigorin. Thanks for your analysis, Powerlevel_9001.

Expertise87

And here's another:

ElvisFord

That's a clever trap.

ElvisFord

Perhaps that's why I've never seen 1. d4 f5 in a game yet.

AAA117

Nimzo Indian

ElvisFord

Here are a couple books that look very interesting to me, especially the one based on QGA. I've never won a game accepting it.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Beat-D4-Ambitious-Repertoire/dp/1904600336/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2ZRFXBB6T5REA&coliid=IFGY14PIGQ1OB

http://www.amazon.com/Explosive-Chess-Opening-Repertoire-Black/dp/1901983501/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2ZRFXBB6T5REA&coliid=I2HQHQZT9QD7HD

This is interesting in that the author espouses 1. ...d6 for anything white does?!

blasterdragon

old benoli is quite effective

Fear_ItseIf
AnthonyCG wrote:
Powerlevel_9001 wrote:
coneheadzombie wrote:

The Budapest Gambit really takes the Indian out of d4, if that's what you like.

more like Budapest Defense, because thats what black does the whole game if white doesnt fall for silly traps.

THIS

lol

Bharadwaj-S
frank124c wrote:
S-Bharadwaj wrote:
frank124c wrote:

I like the Phenelomorphin Defense. 

If you wanna reccomend some opening 'no one' knows pls. show some moves after which black is winning.

How can I show  moves when no one knows this opening?

Even You??????

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gamboo

The key words in the OP are "not a very postional player". Indian Defenses are a terrible recomendation.

Try the Budapest Gambit. (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e5)