Forums

What is the best opening?

Sort:
Andrei9786

I am an fond chess player, and I would really like to know which chess opening is the best. Any help takenLaughing

The_Gavinator

Parham

The_Gavinator

But sicilian is tough to play agasinst

Andrei9786
The_Gavinator wrote:

But sicilian is tough to play agasinst

Sicilian? Where can I learn more about this opening?

The_Gavinator

I'd go on wikipedia. It's the most common opening, the moves are 1. e4 c5

nameno1had
Andrei9786 wrote:

I am an fond chess player, and I would really like to know which chess opening is the best. Any help taken

I have been trying to do some research to find out if any particular opening gives an inherent advantage due to position. So far I haven't been able to find anything concrete. I have tried to use an engine to do this, but I have figured out that the calculation involved is mind blowing. When I ask my engine to do this, it sits idle for hours just thinking. The only reason I have any idea as to whether it has calculated any potential difference is by using the force move feature at different intervals after it has been thinking for a while and then viewing the results of those games.

This data isn't necessarily concrete as it relates to human play, even if all the best engines agree that a particular opening is stronger than another. The reason is that human aren't generally able to see 30 moves down the line and then play a bunch of subtle positions on both sides, so that their results will match the computer's result.

So perhaps a better answer that is more applicable is, any opening that catches your opponent off guard, or one you are more familiar with, that gives you better odds to play well, no matter your opponent's response, is probably the best opening for you.

If you don't deal well with agressive players, perhaps an opening that offers a closed pawn structure and good defensive position will suit you. If you don't do well with trying to calculated a bunch of subtle nuances, perhaps you need an opening that quickly allows strong attacking potential. In the end, it becomes a matter of personal preference really.

Kullat_Nunu

The Reti Opening is the best opening.

Black has no reliable way to get an equal game. Or so it seems to me, when I'm Black and have to deal with 1.Nf3. This is because White can follow up with pretty much everything, so it's very unpredictable and hard for Black to foresee White's plans. And if you can't predict you're opponent's plans, you're pretty much screwed and so Black has a higher chance to play moves which are bad in the system White will play (but which is not predictable for Black after a few moves, because 1.Nf3 is so flexible).

Clearly, the Reti Opening is the best and most flexible opening.

dartking

there is no best opening. one should  study a variety of openings and choose those that fit your style and are comfortable with. play thematic tournaments to get a feel for a particular opening or variation.you should recognise the pawn sructures and  middle game themes.

beardedchicken

There isn't any one opening or defence that's best. You choose openings based on your style.

zxb995511
narnur wrote:

There isn't any one opening or defence that's best. You choose openings based on your style.

Anyone under 2200 does not play consistently enough to have a "style" not really. Your style (if you are under 2200) simply reflects your weaknesses (you avoid what you are bad at). In any case the best opening is simply the one you know the best. Pick one you like and work on it.

nameno1had
Kullat_Nunu wrote:

The Reti Opening is the best opening.

Black has no reliable way to get an equal game. Or so it seems to me, when I'm Black and have to deal with 1.Nf3. This is because White can follow up with pretty much everything, so it's very unpredictable and hard for Black to foresee White's plans. And if you can't predict you're opponent's plans, you're pretty much screwed and so Black has a higher chance to play moves which are bad in the system White will play (but which is not predictable for Black after a few moves, because 1.Nf3 is so flexible).

Clearly, the Reti Opening is the best and most flexible opening.

I do agree with the assertion that the flexibility there after Nf3 is awesome. If you read my first post in this thread I discussed what happens when I try to force my engine to play from the standard starting position against itself, and thus choose its best opening and defense, I presume.

Everytime I let it think for a while and then hit the force button I get it choosing nf3 and if I do it immediately after setting up the game it gives me e4. After letting the engine play itself with each opening, white wins the Nf3 game using the King's Indian attack and Black wins a King Pawn a very close game that has a, long list of added book variations to it. I didn't write them down.

I wish I would have. I had someone get upset at the idea my engine decided if the best moves are played after e4-e5 black wins. I actually asked the question in the same thread if maybe anyone thought the computer chose lines at random after being asked to calculate such a scenario. I can see the programmers thinking this to practical, if calculating the strongest of the possible first moves against each other isn't. I have actually wanted someone with an awesome computer and Houdini 2.0 to do this to see what would happen.

I do like the Reti otherwise, but I can't say it is the best, but certainly if in a position to use a viable option.

nameno1had
zxb995511 wrote:
narnur wrote:

Anyone under 2200 does not play consistently enough to have a "style" not really. Your style (if you are under 2200) simply reflects your weaknesses (you avoid what you are bad at). In any case the best opening is simply the one you know the best. Pick one you like and work on it.

Without sounding argumentative, would you say that this is a factor in what eventually becomes your style, after you get that good, or would you say that when you really learn how to play, you cut to the chase, abandoning the things you used as a crutch?

djwisnie
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

The most popular openings on master level are

1.Ruy Lopez

2.Sicilian

3.Queen's Gambit

Dark_Falcon

1.BDG

2.Elephant Gambit

3.Bongcloud

367. QGD exchange variation

The_Gavinator

1. Parham

2. Fried Liver

3. Waite-Harrison Attack

nameno1had
AdvLegitimate wrote:

1000% of people who answer this post will be trolling.

there is no best opening, there are 'better openings', typical examples are the ruy lopez, sicilian and queens gambit, but none are superior.

I should start one and call it the Superior Opening...

The_Gavinator

Ok, how about 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5?

kshc027
Andrei9786 wrote:

I am an fond chess player, and I would really like to know which chess opening is the best. Any help taken

There is no best chess opening. It depends on the player in 1 aspect.

nameno1had
The_Gavinator wrote:

Ok, how about 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5?

That brings out the queen too early...

nameno1had

Do we need a fishing liscense to be able to troll... Trolling can really be an effect method to hook em good and reel em in...maybe it depends on the boat you are in?