Forums

What to do after 1.d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5

Sort:
EliasAStern

I have reached this position in a number of my tournament games. I know that e6 is possible transposing into the semi-slav, but i am mainly a slav player so in the past i have played dxc4. After 4...dxc4 the most common line is 5. a4 Qa5. Why are these the most common moves? What experience do you guys have with this position? Could anyone post some lines that they play?

Thanks so much, Elias

EliasAStern

thanks any reccomended lines?

upen2002

I agree with Estragon 4dxc4 5a4 Qa5 is a popular line for Black

ThrillerFan

It's all about move order.  This is why 3.Nc3 is often answered with 3...dxc4, whereas 3.Nf3 is answered by 3...Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4.

After 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Bg5, the answer is simple, 4...Ne4 and already Black's at worst equal.

But against 3.Nc3, the Knight trade, while it does place a pawn in White's camp and might make it slightly more difficult to develop, it also leaves Black with a long term endgame weakness.

carlosvbm
ThrillerFan wrote:

It's all about move order.  This is why 3.Nc3 is often answered with 3...dxc4, whereas 3.Nf3 is answered by 3...Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4.

After 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Bg5, the answer is simple, 4...Ne4 and already Black's at worst equal.

But against 3.Nc3, the Knight trade, while it does place a pawn in White's camp and might make it slightly more difficult to develop, it also leaves Black with a long term endgame weakness.

First of all, Im sorry if I am wrong. But if 4...Ne4, what about the queen?

JohnnyKGB

offer draw  or  destroy him  with botvinnik/moscu variations 

ThrillerFan
carlosvbm wrote:
ThrillerFan wrote:

First of all, Im sorry if I am wrong. But if 4...Ne4, what about the queen?

What about the Queen?  She sits safely on d8.

Read the subject line.  This is the SLAV, NOT THE ORTHODOX!

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 (NOT e6) 3.Nc3 Nf6 and now 4.Bg5 is not a particularly good move because the Knight is free to move.

Black's e-pawn is still on its original square!