which chess opening database to follow ?

chess_pagol

Against 1.e4, black's first move 1..c5 shows 424206 , 449389,  392231 games for chess.com, lichess.org, database.chessbase.com database explorers respectively.

Without opening moves/games database you can't do analysis, exploring of opening moves, it's a must required tool.

So, how we can do these things if different database websites show different numbers? which database explorer should be trusted? it's confusing because if we take one website database as a base for exploring opening moves for different purposes then who can guarantee that this site's data is right than others which show different data, so our exploration may be wrong.

Which chess opening database to follow when they showing different numbers of games and black/white winning percentages ??!

Thanks for your time, no wasting comments plz, it's a serious topic regarding the usage of opening/games database.

 

notmtwain

For what purpose? Is this for your over the board tournament prep-work? Are you writing an opening manual?

inkspirit
All three are good. Use the one you’re comfortable with.

These databases show different numbers because each one collect games on their own. Top level games (such as the GCT, WC, the Candidates and all FIDE rated GM/IM events) are included in any database. Some lower level tournaments however, especially locally organized ones, may not be included in a database because they cannot access the games, or because it’s determined that the games are of low quality.
pulls05

grin.png

chess_pagol

@notmtwain not only over the board tournament prep-work but also many things, guess it.

chess_pagol

@inkspirit it's confusing if i take one as a base, for instance, let's say i chose a move of a preferred line depending on the winning percentage of this move as white player, in that case i am wrong bcoz my base database site is a alien site showing me not up to date data because i see different data in milky way galaxy planet websites.

Mrmerbs57

chess_pagol wrote:

Against 1.e4, black's first move 1..c5 shows 424206 , 449389,  392231 games for chess.com, lichess.org, database.chessbase.com database explorers respectively.

Without opening moves/games database you can't do analysis, exploring of opening moves, it's a must required tool.

So, how we can do these things if different database websites show different numbers? which database explorer should be trusted? it's confusing because if we take one website database as a base for exploring opening moves for different purposes then who can guarantee that this site's data is right than others which show different data, so our exploration may be wrong.

Which chess opening database to follow when they showing different numbers of games and black/white winning percentages ??!

Thanks for your time, no wasting comments plz, it's a serious topic regarding the usage of opening/games database.

 

Which Opening Chess Database do I follow.... NONE, move with the times someone said my highest BCF rating was 150 (1800 Elo ) my highest correspondence rating 2200 no chess base sorry just a good paper book library and some hard study from the masters Casablanca best games, Fischer's, Lasker to name a few!!?

IMBacon

"Without opening moves/games database you can't do analysis, exploring of opening moves, it's a must required tool."

What do you think people did before game databases?

IMBacon
chess_pagol wrote:

@inkspirit it's confusing if i take one as a base, for instance, let's say i chose a move of a preferred line depending on the winning percentage of this move as white player, in that case i am wrong bcoz my base database site is a alien site showing me not up to date data because i see different data in milky way galaxy planet websites.

If you're basing your moves on winning percentage?  You're going about this wrong.  Lets say, you play a certain opening.  And move 8 has a winning percentage of 61%.  But it hasn't been played in 2 years.  You need to know why that move isnt played anymore.  

kindaspongey
Mrmerbs57  wrote:
... and some hard study from the masters Casablanca best games, ...

 

You must remember this …

bong711

Follow Chessbase Openings database. It's the publisher of Fritz GUI, Fritz Power Book, Megadatabase, etc. 

robbie_1969


The problem with following database lines is that we reach positions and dont understand how we got there.  The line may be good and solid and all, but sooner or later someone is going to usually deviate and we are on our own.  Best to play what we understand I think.

d0su

A good chunk of some of those databases are Blitz games and Bullet games. That may explain some of the discrepancies. Other factors are the ratings of the players in those databases, and normal statistical variance.

If you are searching for the "truth" of the positions, best to limit your results to Master-level classical games. If you are searching for traps or practical effectiveness, include those lower level games with quick time controls.

I would consult all three databases if you have access.

FlyingSandal

"Which chess opening database to follow" at move one? I think this is the same as asking "Is chess solved?". I think no one should need to follow a game database for move one, unless it is some crazy opening. Play the opening you are familair with or want to learn about.

PawnstormPossie
chess_pagol wrote:

@inkspirit it's confusing if i take one as a base, for instance, let's say i chose a move of a preferred line depending on the winning percentage of this move as white player, in that case i am wrong bcoz my base database site is a alien site showing me not up to date data because i see different data in milky way galaxy planet websites.

A common mistake.

Your purpose for using these simple stats is to determine your next move.

Stats can be misleading. Simple stats, like percentages, are worthless for the most part. They show no correlation as to why a win, loss, or draw was the outcome. At some point, you'll try to memorize a line, forget what the next move was suppose to be, and then have no clue what to do.

Understanding the reasoning behind the moves is of much greater importance and value.

Mrmerbs57

FlyingSandal wrote:

"Which chess opening database to follow" at move one? I think this is the same as asking "Is chess solved?". I think no one should need to follow a game database for move one, unless it is some crazy opening. Play the opening you are familair with or want to learn about.

Well said, I personally feel that a lot of low to medium rated players are sucked into believing some computer software will make them an instant success, players need to developed there positional understanding, ie., pawn structures how they effect play this comes with experience no software can teach this, I played over the board a guy the other week, he rattles out first 11 moves of a black side of a Sicilian then with one Knight retreat suddenly he was out in the swamp, after the game which he lost my 22 year old opponent says according to this chess base I should have done this and that, my reply human element says different and it won!!?

manoj_bd

I think, chessbase is the best and most reliable.