Forums

Reporting a member

Sort:
wbilfc

Guys, Is there a facility to report a member who had just systematically called me a cheat throughout a game and caused me real anger and to some degree intimated and frustrated. I recently took the decision to pay my way on Chess.com due to the number of games I was playing and frankly now feel that it was a mistake. With nearly 500 games under my belt in roughly 3 months and achieving a not so impressive rating of circa 1100 I really can't understand why this member would feel I would suddenly take to cheating. I was clearly having a good game and caused him to lose his head. I checked his profile, expecting to see some young kid with an attitude (apologies for my prejudice) only to find he was 57 yrs old and really should know better. Anyway rant over, feeling calmer now, but would appreciate someone letting me know how I can report this guy. I'm tempted to name him here but won't because I suppose I could get into trouble myself.

omnipaul

Go to http://support.chess.com/Tickets/Submit and select "Report Abuse."

theinvisibleboy

You need to take a chill pill and relax bro. Why don't you stop whining and just ignore him? There is a button for that my silly friend.

trysts
theinvisibleboy wrote:

You need to take a chill pill and relax bro. Why don't you stop whining and just ignore him? There is a button for that my silly friend.

He said it was just a rant. Maybe he played you.

wbilfc
theinvisibleboy wrote: You need to take a chill pill and relax bro. Why don't you stop whining and just ignore him? There is a button for that my silly friend. Your probably right, however if this was face to face I doubt he would have been quite so forthcoming with his comments. Just cos it's on-line doesn't mean we should just ignore it and let them get away with it. Any way, the toe rag is now blocked, appreciate the advice!
CrecyWar

Why dont you just disable chat as soon as the A-0's show their color and ignore them. Or if you insists on a reply just answer ...

" yo mamma"

wbilfc
Lol...god help us all. :-)
NimzoRoy

With about 4 million members here, I suggest you report any a**holes who annoy you, block them and then move on and get over it.

insidejob

Just my two cents - this site is by far friendlier than the site I used to play chess on.  On the old site you'd get abuse almost every night.  On chess.com, I've had almost no abuse in about 700 games, and it's a lot more fun.  And yes, report that guy to the staff for followup.

To our original poster from the UK, keep playing and you'll get better.  Also, now that you've signed up, try the tactics trainer - it's fun and a great way to learn.  Best regards, insidejob

Yosriv

Just ignore him my friend. Never let anyone drive you angry.

johnnyrocco

i think there is some good advice here-but  i wonder how much comes from reporting a-holes? what i do is just disable the chat and block them( hopefully before i compare them to the diseased fetid anal mucus of a parasitic bovine maggot)- but i guess it comes with the interweb thinggy ( the a-holes not the diseased maggot thing) and of course it would be different in a otb game- but hey it is what it is.

whirlwind2011

@OP: The link provided by omnipaul is the best way to deal with a member who is very abusive. Also, at the first sign of abuse, you can click "disable chat."

Your payment for a membership and your encounter with an abusive member were purely coincidental and have nothing to do with each other. The likelihood of encountering abuse is the same, whether we pay or not.

catnapper
NrthrnKnght wrote:

how do you block someone from repeated challenges to your homepage???

Put your pointer over 'My Home', then select 'Account' from the drop down menu. On the new page click 'Privacy'. Scroll down to 'Blocked Members' and type in their handle. Now they can't challenge you, type in your notes, send you a message, or comment in a forum thread you start. They also won't be able to hold down a job or get a date, so use the force wisely.

CrecyWar
NimzoRoy wrote:

With about 4 million members here, I suggest you report any a**holes who annoy you, block them and then move on and get over it.

Agree, get some sack.

Ex-parrot

Maybe the thought you were using Turing's paper machine or MANIAC I.

browni3141
NoScrubs wrote:

Just block and ignore. Don't bother with an abuse report to staff. Sometimes members who make such reports get banned (rather than the abusive member).

You would know wouldn't you, being a member since Feb 2012? Maybe your previous account was banned in the circumstances described? If so, then I'm sure staff had other reasons for banning you.

whirlwind2011

@NoScrubs: Banned from this site? As long as the reporting member is polite and straightforward, that will not happen on Chess.com.

Blocking, disabling chat, and ignoring are the best tactics to use when dealing with abusive members. However, many times abusive members cross over the proverbial line. When they do so, we are more than welcome to report the incidents to the staff, who will deal with the abusive members (and usually swiftly).

catnapper

It appears NoScrub has been scrubbed!

goldendog
browni3141 wrote:
NoScrubs wrote:

Just block and ignore. Don't bother with an abuse report to staff. Sometimes members who make such reports get banned (rather than the abusive member).

You would know wouldn't you, being a member since Feb 2012? Maybe your previous account was banned in the circumstances described? If so, then I'm sure staff had other reasons for banning you.

+1 or maybe a zillion