Forums

Chess 960 Starting Notation

Sort:
WolfintheMistJP

When notating a Chess 960 game, what is the proper way to notate the starting positions of the material?  For example, what is the notation for the diagram below?

Jimmykay

FEN is fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960#Coding_games_and_positions

chessredpanda

the moves?

WolfintheMistJP
chessredpanda wrote:

the moves?

Just the position (before the moves)

RonaldJosephCote

I think its just the back row; N/Q/B/B/R/K/N/R

WolfintheMistJP

So, "NQBBRKNR" is what I would write down? (Thank you for the URL.) RonaldJosephCote's "N/Q/B/B/R/K/N/R" seems to work, too.

Jimmykay

Either seems fine. I presume you want this for the purpose of communicating with someone else the starting position.

RonaldJosephCote

To the OP;  The book is; "Play Stronger Chess By Examining Chess 960"     You can see it at; CastleLong.com  written by Gene Milener, copyright 2006.  Hope it helps.

WolfintheMistJP

Thank you for the confirmation, Jimmykay.  Yes, I did want this for the purpose of potentially sharing a game of 960 to someone else in human, but I had no idea of how to notate the starting position.  RonaldJosephCote: The book "PSCbyEC960" sounds interesting.  I may consider checking it out.

Jimmykay
WolfintheMistJP wrote:

Thank you for the confirmation, Jimmykay.  Yes, I did want this for the purpose of potentially sharing a game of 960 to someone else in human, but I had no idea of how to notate the starting position.  RonaldJosephCote: The book "PSCbyEC960" sounds interesting.  I may consider checking it out.

I agree. That book sounds great. I started playing 960 just a few months ago, and I have already noticed that it forces me to rethink assumptions as well as to think a little more deeply about strategic concepts such as pawn structure.

WolfintheMistJP
Jimmykay wrote:
WolfintheMistJP wrote:

I agree. That book sounds great. I started playing 960 just a few months ago, and I have already noticed that it forces me to rethink assumptions as well as to think a little more deeply about strategic concepts such as pawn structure.

I have almost no strategy in the openings.  I would love to learn through the book.

Jimmykay
WolfintheMistJP wrote:
Jimmykay wrote:
WolfintheMistJP wrote:

I have almost no strategy in the openings.  I would love to learn through the book.

I try to follow standard opening principles...control the center, develop pieces in coordination with pawn structure, king safety (gernerally castle). Let me know how the author addresses thinking about the openings.

MervynS

To see how this FEN is done, download a PGN file of one of your completed Chess960 games, and open the file with a text editor.

I was definitely interested in RonaldJosephCote's book suggestion of Play Stronger Chess By Examining Chess 960, was able to find excerpts of this book in the link below:

http://www.castlelong.com/book/pscbyec960/Excerpts_PSCbyEC960.shtml

Things I noticed in the exercpts:

1) In one Chess 960 tournament, grandmasters seemed to open with wing pawns more than center pawns. Kind of makes sense, we may not be able to defend our center pawns if they are advanced.

2) At this same chess 960 tournament, grandmasters felt on average, white has a bigger starting advantage than in regular chess.

3) There is a point in the middle game where Chess960 will look like a regular chess game.

WolfintheMistJP

Those are powerful excerpts.  Not only did I find another way to notate the starting position: "NQBB-RKNR" (adding a dash in the center), but I learned that the average win/loss ratio for white is 4/3.  I also had no idea that Chess 960 flows to a normal-looking game, and players tend to open wing Pawns than center Pawns.  I learned a lot from the excerpts, and now I appreciate Chess 960 even more because of them.  RonaldJosephCote, MervynS, and Jimmykay: Thank you all so much for the links to the website, excerpts, and answers to my question!

Jimmykay

I would be a little cautious about taking too much advice from the author, though. He peaked at 1400 USCF.

MervynS
Jimmykay wrote:

I would be a little cautious about taking too much advice from the author, though. He peaked at 1400 USCF.

Maybe, but it seems many of his points are observations and fact collecting rather than conclusions he has worked out over the board.

We also use chess engines a lot, and many of of these chess engine programmers are not very good players, but look at the results of the chess engines...