Forums

chess960, waste of time?

Sort:
fireflies808

you can still comment!!!!!!!

BirdBrain

Fireflies, the best way to keep your forum alive is to continue to post relevant, interesting material that draws people in.  Post some of your games, or some awesome games from the world elite at the 960 tourneys. 

fireflies808

k. (=

fireflies808

guess what?

BirdBrain

What?

DrSpudnik

I don't think chess players are in any position to say that someone else's leisure time activity is a  "waste of time." Embarassed

fireflies808

i want to play a game of chess960 with a random person. C=

that's what!

fireflies808

thank's for your comments! Smile

DaveOakRidges

Is anything a waste of time?

Perhaps it is a waste of energy?

I like 960.

Clocks are a waste of time?

BirdBrain

I think 960 is a brilliant way, like Bughouse, to breathe new life into an already brilliant (and intensely studied) game. 

chess_kebabs

I call it circus chess. I used to hate it because taking me out of my comfort zone of building a strong opening, or at least  trying to. But I feel like a bit of crazy chess so might give it another go soon. Would play it unrated though I think. I know I'm going to be hopeless. :)

BirdBrain

Babs, we could play an unrated if you like.  There are still some classical ideas you can employ, such as controlling the center and solid piece development.  Of course, the GM stuff is out the window.  

chess_kebabs

suuuuuuure Doug, hit me up.. but unrated please... I just need to be reminded about the castling rule and any other rules as it's been at least a year I think since I last played crazy chess.

buddzme

chess960 follows the same moves as chess. It is not a waste of time, it helps you well find other different position that you can come up like in standard chess and may help you with tactics, strategies etc.

BetoEsparrago
White has too much of an advantage in 360. Too much gain of control from the beginning. It's fun though.
BetoEsparrago
960 I mean.
chess_kebabs
Bags white Doug!
BirdBrain
BetoEsparrago wrote:
White has too much of an advantage in 360. Too much gain of control from the beginning. It's fun though.

Beto, no more than in regular chess.  Otherwise there would be no tourneys at high levels, seeing that the game would be biased.

WokeryWizard

Not at all. It gives a good indication of how much someone understands about the principles of chess and takes the memorization of opening lines out of the game.

BirdBrain

Actually, I have beat people - with Black - who normally beat me in regular chess.  There are no book lines - only creativity to lean on.