95,000 New People Per Day?

Heritageoviya

Maybe the 17,000 members "joining" is not new people creating accounts on chess.com, but rather like the number of people on chess.com in total for that day. This could include (old + new people)

lfPatriotGames
Martin_Stahl wrote:

I've watched spammers in real time creating new accounts, so I know that account creation can happen quickly and there can be a lot of them. Add legitimate users to that, even if they have previously had an account (whether closed, forgotten, etc) and that adds up 

There are over 4.5 billion internet users. Even if only 1% of those are interested in chess, that leaves a ton of room for growth and during the pandemic, almost every online entertainment site has received an influx of users. Add to that the articles about chess and the Queen's Gambit and that can even accelerate things.

I'm not sure what a spam account is but it sounds like something that's not very genuine. If that's the case then I think that is exactly what people are talking about. The 17,000 a day wasn't genuine, and the 95,000 a day is also not genuine. It's unbelievable. 

Dark-Fox-Of-Trickery
Heritageoviya wrote:

Maybe the 17,000 members "joining" is not new people creating accounts on chess.com, but rather like the number of people on chess.com in total for that day. This could include (old + new people)

No. There is a place where you can see how many people are online.

lfPatriotGames

They are doubling down. It's now 102,000 joined in the last 24 hours. 

Marie-AnneLiz
Martin_Stahl a écrit :

I've watched spammers in real time creating new accounts, so I know that account creation can happen quickly and there can be a lot of them. Add legitimate users to that, even if they have previously had an account (whether closed, forgotten, etc) and that adds up 

There are over 4.5 billion internet users. Even if only 1% of those are interested in chess, that leaves a ton of room for growth and during the pandemic, almost every online entertainment site has received an influx of users. Add to that the articles about chess and the Queen's Gambit and that can even accelerate things.

Those numbers are BS....it say that 312 000 000 in the usa have internet....

and 904 000 000 in China!

and 744 000 000 in India.

You have more than 50 000 000 in the usa alone that can barely eat 3 times a day and they can barely pay there rent.

China has more peoples living with 1$ per day that the number of peoples in the whole usa..same with India...

Epiloque
Marie-AnneLiz wrote:
Martin_Stahl a écrit :

You have more than 50 000 000 in the usa alone that can barely eat 3 times a day and they can barely pay there rent.

China has more peoples living with 1$ per day that the number of peoples in the whole usa..same with India...

But a spammer could create 20-50 accounts in a day if they wanted to be a jerk.

Martin_Stahl
lfPatriotGames wrote:

It's an automated count by the system. It literally just counts new account signups.

lfPatriotGames
Martin_Stahl wrote:
lfPatriotGames wrote:

It's an automated count by the system. It literally just counts new account signups.

That's probably true. One way or another. 

Martin_Stahl
Marie-AnneLiz wrote:
Martin_Stahl a écrit :

It says? Who is it? I didn't provide a link to where I got that value. Where did you see your numbers?  Are the numbers off by an order of magnitude? By 10 or 20%? More? I'm not making absolute claims that numbers are 100% accurate; I imagine the numbers are not off by enough to  make a difference in the discussion.

Anyway, even people without computers at home still get online in places like libraries, schools and work. A lot of people maintain a mobile device that they use to get online with, even those that might be less affluent. Yes, there are still a lot of people and places where access may not be ubiquitous, but often is still available, being used and growing.

JijoAttumalilJose

happy.pnghappy.pnghappy.png

Marie-AnneLiz

Have you been in China? if you get out of any big cities they live in dump! no electricity no plumbing and their toilets are super filthy!

India is very poor! 

330 millions of peoples in the usa and at least 10% don't even have a job! more than 50 millions poor! do you know what is a poor?

minimum federal wage in the USA 7.25$ in Canada were the cost of living is way cheaper $11.

No one can live with 7.25$ an hour and by an internet connection!

Minimum wage in China? in the best city $2 an hour-outside the big city a few penny.

in India? .40 for one hour of work in the big city is the minimum wage.

Try to live in any country with $2 per day! well billions do....

lfPatriotGames

Yeah, but sooner or later they all join chess.com. Apparently. 

Marie-AnneLiz

Apparently wink.png

Chesshobbieswin

I don’t know if it’s really that much people joining.