Forums

Debate: What to call "Online Chess"...

Sort:
Ziryab
chessplayer11 wrote:
ibiwisi wrote:

I earlier suggested "Simultaneous Chess" or "Simul Chess," but the idea was met with resounding silence, so I'll move on.

Simultaneous Chess has more to do with the style of the player and not much to do with the style or method of play.

The term Simul has an entirely different meaning in chess, although it has some bearing in correspondence because most players are indeed conducting their own little simuls against opponents who each have their own simuls against others who have theirs, and on until every single chess player in the world is absorbed into a single event.

Sooner

TheGrobe

Mine is actually literal-minded as well.

pwwaring

Correspondence Chess - Wikipedia

Correspondence chess is chess played by various forms of long-distance correspondence, usually through a correspondence chess server, through email or by the postal system; less common methods which have been employed include fax and homing pigeon.

TheGrobe

All qualify as correspondence....

Sooner
TheGrobe wrote:

I'll repeat:  The medium itself is irrelevant.

Turn based play here is non-concurrent communication of chess moves over a distance just like it was with telegraph, just like it was with postcards and just like it was with e-mail.

Correspondence is an entirely appropriate -- in fact, a perfect -- adjective.

TheGrobe's conceptual approach is much more reasonable and realistic than chessplayer11's literal-minded approach is. The difference is just more evidence that the name should obviously be "correspondence chess." But let's skip the gimmiky "echess." The venerable game of chess should be accorded more dignity by those who are devoted to it.

chess_kebabs
Metaright wrote:
erik wrote:

Later we hated that name and changed it to "Online Chess". But all chess is online...

I know it's a little late in the topic, but how is all chess online?

I think Erik meant all online chess is online chess.. e.g. Live chess is also played online.. hence the term 'online chess' won't differentiate between correspondence chess (ding!) and live chess. 

Sooner
TheGrobe wrote:

Mine is actually literal-minded as well.

I think TheGrobe's approach to the naming issue is conceptual, not literal, because his emphasis is on the concept of two distant chess players playing a game of chess by long-distance transmissions of their moves regardless of the literal means of the transmission. That means that the term "correspondence chess" can reasonably and understandably with historical continuity be used to designate any of them and is thus the best name. That's very different from chessplayer11's idea that, somehow, the literal means of transmission requires a different name for each one. His thinking is therefore not very sophisticated or flexible, to put the best face on it.

travis1010

I said this when they first asked this question when the site began, and I'll say it again.  Correspondence Chess the the correct name for what they call "Online Chess".  

Sooner

Absolutely correct! Now if only Erik would just listen to us!

Ziryab

It's wonderful when someone cites Wikipedia as a source in an argument when some of the participants in the argument may well have written that part of the Wikipedia entry. Although not certain without delving deep into the edit history, I sorta recall writing that very sentence.

TheGrobe

If you have a smart phone it's a great way to win bar bets.

Ziryab

Can you edit Wikipedia entries with a smart phone?

TheGrobe

I'm sure you could.

Ziryab

I won an argument once by altering a Wikipedia entry while my adversary was in the toilet.

pwwaring

Now that would be ironic! Doesnt't necessarily make the point of the idea any less valid though...

chess_kebabs
Ziryab wrote:

I won an argument once by altering a Wikipedia entry while my adversary was in the toilet.

HAHAHA

AlCzervik
Ziryab wrote:

Hilarious!

Ziryab

I was spouting nonsense and found a source that made it common knowledge. Unsigned edits get reverted faster these days.

chess_kebabs
Ziryab wrote:

I was spouting nonsense and found a source that made it common knowledge. Unsigned edits get reverted faster these days.

You spouting nonsense James? Refuse to believe that! lol.