Chess.com's Weekly Study: February 14th 2016

DailyFun

Hello Chess.com!

Starting with 2016, we will be posting a Weekly Study, courtesy of Yochanan Afek, Grandmaster for composing endgame studies. These challenging positions are designed to stimulate (and improve upon!) your creativity, depth of calculation, pattern recognition and pure imagination.

E. Kvezereli, 1957

Enjoy!

cool64chess

Awesome!

Tututs
[COMMENT DELETED]
LeBellman
Do
LeBellman
Fp
TheHockeyLord
Fp
Tututs

FP

DoOrDie71

fp?

QuinnsOperation
第一页
fightingbob

This endgame study should be titled Funeral March of a Marionette, for the rook makes the bishops dance back and forth along Black's first and second rank as if on a string, and this dance will end in the mate of the king.

The key to the puzzle, of course, is to get to a position where the rook can drop down to Blacks's first rank, pinning one of the bishops while the other is unable to harass White's king with checks unless it wants to give up its life.

chesskingdreamer

Great! I think this should be on the front page somewhere though.

chesskingdreamer

3 days late... FP!

Robert_New_Alekhine

Great one!

ze_great

fp

n9531l

These Weekly Study threads are enjoyable to follow because they are for the most part free of the FPer's and other time wasters that plague the Daily Puzzle threads.

Did anyone notice that Black has a better try than the game continuation? After 3...Bc5+  4. Kxc5 Kxa7, White has to play carefully to win the rook versus bishop ending. That ending is generally a draw, but in this case, since the Black king is close to the corner controlled by the bishop, White can win. The result will be a mate in 27 instead of the mate in 16 that results from the given solution.

liveink

Please don't give up. I began chess February 2015 and now I want to begin to step my game up starring with end game. Thank you.

liveink

Wow. .. I posted before I ran through the lesson... AWESOME. That's so creative .I want to master endgame

LaConseillante

It seemed so easy to me until I realized that the real threat is to avoid creating a stalemate. Otherwise Rxh8 would be a great start. But since black would have no legal move it would be a stalemate. So all that dancing is just to keep control of the game and not allow a stalemate. Not sure I would have the patience or the brain-power! Actually if black moves Bc8 I still don't see how this wins?!?

jdksla

I don't get it. Why would you not take black's bishop at h8 on the first move?

n9531l
jdksla wrote:

Why would you not take black's bishop at h8 on the first move?

Perhaps you would do that. Ending the game in one move with a stalemate would save you from having to do a lot of thinking.