Forums

No. 135 Neustadtl-Porges in Basic Chess Endings/Reuben Fine

Sort:
gfbest

In BCE, White wins according to an analysis by J. Faucher. I am interested in King and Pawn endings involving distant opposition and triangulation and set up the position in Chessmaster 10th Edition and later in Shredder with those two engines playing the Black pieces. In BCE, Black's 11. ... ke3 loses in my opinion because if instead Black plays 11. ... kd3 and subsequently attacks White's queenside pawns, capturing the b and c pawns, then Black draws. The chess engines never play 11. ... ke3 but instead always attack White's queenside pawns. Recently I analysed the position with Stockfish playing White and Black and I can only find a draw. I would like to get some fresh eyes on this endgame and would like to know if there is a group of experts who are revisiting BCE endgame studies and finding errors.

kindaspongey

"... The only real problems with [Basic Chess Endings] are the errors and the fact that it is now very dated. ... the book is now in algebraic notation and the layout has in some ways been improved. ... Perhaps the greatest disappointment ... lay in the failure to correct many of the errors in Fine's book. ... I don't think it is acceptable in the 21st century to produce an endgame book without computer- and database-checking. ... the book can be recommended for Fine's groundbreaking general explanations. Just don't expect complete accuracy or up-to-date endgame theory." - GM John Nunn (2006)

gfbest

I have had an opportunity to contact Karsten Muller GM, co-author of "Secrets of Pawn Endings", regarding Neustadtl-Porges and he has found it to be a draw.