Reti (1928)

cdaguer

Ziryab
Was this Reti’s or based on a better known puzzle of Reti’s?
cdaguer

This is a position of study based on this

Ziryab

Yes, that's the well-known study I referred to. Who composed the three Black pawn version?

cdaguer

The two study were made by Reti. The first with only one pawn in 1921 and the second in 1928

williamscottlowry

i didit

ClashRoyale12345

Nice puzzles!

OldPatzerMike

Bien joué. This study nicely illustrates the complexity and subtlety of K+P endings.

cdaguer
Chessopera a écrit :

Reti’s puzzle is very intereting as visually it seems impossible for white to win.

Yeah 

DavidEricAshby
Wow. White can’t win, but they can draw. I had to look up the answer on Google because I thought that you were trolling us with an impossible puzzle!
cdaguer
DavidEricAshby a écrit :
Wow. White can’t win, but they can draw. I had to look up the answer on Google because I thought that you were trolling us with an impossible puzzle!

Lol ;!

JossieCalderon

KeSetoKaiba

This endgame idea has always been one of my favorites happy.png Without knowing the winning technique, hopelessly having the King run in a straight line seems natural - after all, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line right? Well, perhaps not in chess wink.png  At the very least, one could say that the shortest distance is not the winning one here. 

IpswichMatt
KeSetoKaiba wrote:

This endgame idea has always been one of my favorites  Without knowing the winning technique, hopelessly having the King run in a straight line seems natural - after all, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line right? Well, perhaps not in chess   At the very least, one could say that the shortest distance is not the winning one here. 

Exactly right. Pythagoras Theorem does not apply on the chessboard.

KingDlanor
Very nice
Ziryab

I since learned that both endings are presented in Alex Fishbein, King and Pawn Endings (1993). I now have this book.

LetsGoChess99

Awesome!

Trexler3241

IpswichMatt

^

You don't really mean this as a win for White do you? Looks like a draw to me

Trexler3241
IpswichMatt wrote:

^

You don't really mean this as a win for White do you? Looks like a draw to me

I didn't intend to put 1-0