Is chess good for learning coding or vice versa?

jennifer8053

So I'm learning Web Development... Im intermediate to advanced when it comes to Javascript, so I thought I may be naturally good at chess... or at least decent. I've started playing chess a week ago, and I'm honestly beyond terrible. I have taken some tutorials and know the basics of the game. Do you think the same part of your brain that helps you solve problems with algorithms is the same part that determines if you are a good chess player? Because now I'm doubting my ability as a coder... since I'm so bad at chess. 

RichColorado

Hi. After i played chess for 50 years i had retired and started writing memoir. That i decided that i would learn html 1,,2,3,4,5 & css to create webpages. I don't think chess helped me. 

It was my own analytical abilities and repeatabilies that helped me not chess.

I don't know what coding is but i can program a printer to create small pieces.I

Iv e created family web pages, bowling instruction, family ancestry, memoirs. Now i have to learn hkw to post them kn the internet using my creating knowledge.

Chess is learned on a book like "Bobby Fischer teaches chess." And playing games learning by mistakes.

 I remember creating web pages if something didn't work i had to change the method i used and had to change the results.

It was my analytical abilities that helped me. I don't know what coding is but you might just focus, slow down, get help. 

For chess get "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess" I've taught hundreds & hundreds of chess beginners to play chess.

I'm 83 now i have to learn how to post my webpages on the net before i die for my family or they won't know about me much.

Good luck . . .


By for now don't gjve up you can do it.

 

Kalahan6

I think both are alike in the sense that for both to be good at you need to be able to process relative high amount of technical information.

The way of thinking I do while coding still feels very different from playing chess. It's like it' accessing an entirely different part of my brain. 

 

Y

jennifer8053

Such insightful comments! Thanks you both! I will def read the book recommendation! As for getting your websites on the web, if you already have them built then you can find a Youtube video to walk you through the process, or you can use a free web host like Netifly, where you can just drag and drop files. You can also connect the site to a domain you have bought if you would like. I would be happy to help get you if you want to message me with any questions. And I think that is amazing you have learned to code later in life... you are proof that you can learn new things at any age! 

artekxp

I think as a developer it's easier to think ahead in chess because in code if/else blocks are pretty much the same thing (if rook then take, else loose)

But turning it around, as a developer, I haven't seen any profit from knowing chess.

danielaKay

I've been a web developer for 15 years now, and I've been digging into the chess thing for about 15 days :-D

What I'm slightly envious of is that in chess everyone understands the need for concentration...

When I tell people why it's mean to interrupt a programmer who's staring off into space, or typing away madly, I try to explain that while programming you often have a dozen things you have to keep in mind, like juggling with a dozen balls. And then someone taps you on the shoulder and all the balls fall down and you have to start all over, hoping that you actually remember all of what you wanted to keep in mind.

I guess chess is similar, because you're juggling what your opponent did so far, and what he might do, and all the moves you should do or not do because of what he played. And people respect that the players need to concentrate on that.

Maybe I should ask my employer to hire a TD for the office :-D

jennifer8053

I really appreciate the new comments. And wow a developer for 15 years? That's amazing... I wish I had that kind of knowledge! Im entering my last month of camp (6 month course) but I have been doing the basic on and off for the last 4 years. I got started at FreeCodeCamp. I love coding... and guess I was just looking for a hobby that would come easy to me. I chess is going to require more attention and focus, but I am up for the challenge. 👍 Daniel do you have any advice on how to get your first dev job? I haven't really started looking yet, I'm working on getting my portfolio projects updated to better projects. Right now I have a React recipe app, twitter clone, discord clone, and group projects. I don't know what type of projects hiring managers are looking for. Oddly enough my code camp hasn't helped us with portfolios yet... and maybe never will...lol. They say your Github is your portfolio... which seems only partly true.

NilsIngemar
jennifer8053 wrote:

So I'm learning Web Development... Im intermediate to advanced when it comes to Javascript, so I thought I may be naturally good at chess... or at least decent. I've started playing chess a week ago, and I'm honestly beyond terrible. I have taken some tutorials and know the basics of the game. Do you think the same part of your brain that helps you solve problems with algorithms is the same part that determines if you are a good chess player? Because now I'm doubting my ability as a coder... since I'm so bad at chess. 

Chess is very little problem solving and much more pattern recognition and board vision.

NilsIngemar

People believe that chess is a thinking game. They fail to recognize the amount of chess specific knowledge is required to make it an actual thinking game.

It would be like believing you can be a computer programmer without knowing any computer programming languages.

2Kf21-0

ehh i wouldnt say so. Maybe chess streches your brain around a bit, but I dont think it makes you better at coding, since I myself am  a developer, and I don't see how doing one helps me with the other

infestationPit
2Kf21-0 wrote:

ehh i wouldnt say so. Maybe chess streches your brain around a bit, but I dont think it makes you better at coding, since I myself am  a developer, and I don't see how doing one helps me with the other

I'm pretty sure coding is just a hobby for you tongue.png

danielaKay
jennifer8053 wrote:

I really appreciate the new comments. And wow a developer for 15 years? That's amazing... I wish I had that kind of knowledge! Im entering my last month of camp (6 month course) but I have been doing the basic on and off for the last 4 years. I got started at FreeCodeCamp. I love coding... and guess I was just looking for a hobby that would come easy to me. I chess is going to require more attention and focus, but I am up for the challenge. 👍 Daniel do you have any advice on how to get your first dev job? I haven't really started looking yet, I'm working on getting my portfolio projects updated to better projects. Right now I have a React recipe app, twitter clone, discord clone, and group projects. I don't know what type of projects hiring managers are looking for. Oddly enough my code camp hasn't helped us with portfolios yet... and maybe never will...lol. They say your Github is your portfolio... which seems only partly true.

I guess as a woman I am a minority in programming and in chess now grin.png
It's Daniela happy.png

As for getting the first job, I'm not much help because a) my first job was 15 years ago, and b) I applied for it with a four-year degree in my pocket.

React is a good start, I'm actually working for a grocery delivery company right now where we replaced the entire shop-frontend with a React web app, and added a React Native app just for fun grin.png

As far as the portfolio goes... a few thoughts:

a) it's not just the hiring manager who'll look at your code, they'll invite your future co-workers to have a look, too. And we see things even in smaller projects.

b) everyone who'll handle your application will know it's your first job and will have appropriate expectations. We know you'll have a learning curve, and when we publish a job offering, we've already talked about whether we can hire a junior or whether we need someone senior.

c) I'm slightly unhappy about the focus on github /gitlab. I've worked commercially for a long time, so 99% of my work is in non-public company gits meh.png I get hired anyway grin.png 
(feel free to look my up there, same name)

c) find yourself a headhunter or three (not sure if this applies outside of Germany). Headhunters need programmers to "sell" them to the companies that hire them to find talent. In a way, we are their product.
Also, nowadays they have contracts with the companies that focus on getting long-term employees into the companies. So the headhunters are interested in getting you jobs where you're a good fit, not just in selling you as expensively as possible.
Never pay a headhunter, though. The company that hired them pays. 

Feel free to ping me if you have more questions.

2Kf21-0
infestationPit wrote:
2Kf21-0 wrote:

ehh i wouldnt say so. Maybe chess streches your brain around a bit, but I dont think it makes you better at coding, since I myself am  a developer, and I don't see how doing one helps me with the other

I'm pretty sure coding is just a hobby for you

Yeah I guess, but I'm pretty sure you count as a developer, even if you are like me who just makes 2d python graphics and automated stuff with selenium and bs4 and pyautogui and stuff 

bubbletea14
So studies have actually shown that playing chess helps the left side of your brain, the logic one, so in correlation I guess so, but everybody’s brain is different.
NilsIngemar

If the left side of the brain is better for chess,  then do right handed people do better in general?

jennifer8053

Thanks Daniela! I will try to find some recruiters in my area. Being in the Midwest... the tech industry isn't booming lol 😂 but there is always remote work. On another note... I have always wondered if Im left/right brain... I thought one side was for creativity and one side for logic.Maybe thats a myth though 🤔 I wish I was clearly one so maybe I would be really good at something lol. Coding is nice though because you get to have some creativity in making projects and lots of logic... a little of both. I won two chess games today... both by time, but Im not picky how I win, its like hitting the lotto... haha! 

NilsIngemar

If you are right handed you are left brained. Left handed people are the ones in their right mind.