struggling to win

IMBacon
krazykat1975 wrote:

I get what you're saying IMBacon, your input on that is appreciated. Two things. (1) I just enjoy playing blitz. I've played bullet, correspondence, crazyhouse, and many other variations of chess. I'm just in my comfort zone with blitz. Correspondence is great, you can learn the game way better, because you can obviously take much more time planning out your next move, not to mention you're not stressing under a clock. I do play correspondence once in awhile, in fact, I went head to head with one of your friends, Blakey, just recently. (2) I'm not really interested in improving, my improvement is just coming with learning the game a little better. My focus will always be off, I'm ADHD. Whatever my rating is now, I know I won't get much further in this game, as I pointed out in another post, some peoples brains just aren't built for this game. As far as learning the game, I guess I just don't have the patience for it. I just want to play, and if I win or lose, I'm cool with either outcome. ( Analysis has helped me learn a LOT!) 

"I went head to head with one of your friends, Blakey..."

No idea who this is...

Ian_Sinclair
krazykat1975 wrote:

I get what you're saying IMBacon, your input on that is appreciated. Two things. (1) I just enjoy playing blitz. I've played bullet, correspondence, crazyhouse, and many other variations of chess. I'm just in my comfort zone with blitz. Correspondence is great, you can learn the game way better, because you can obviously take much more time planning out your next move, not to mention you're not stressing under a clock. I do play correspondence once in awhile, in fact, I went head to head with one of your friends, Blakey, just recently. (2) I'm not really interested in improving, my improvement is just coming with learning the game a little better. My focus will always be off, I'm ADHD. Whatever my rating is now, I know I won't get much further in this game, as I pointed out in another post, some peoples brains just aren't built for this game. As far as learning the game, I guess I just don't have the patience for it. I just want to play, and if I win or lose, I'm cool with either outcome. 

 

 

You could improve if you wanted to, this nonsense some peoples brains aren't meant for it might be fine if you were trying to be a GM or something. But that don't wash with anyone else really. You are just too lazy to put in the effort to improve. It doesn't matter enough to you to improve. 

krazykat1975

Ian Sinclair, just to set the record straight, my ELO has sky rocketed from the 1200's to 1400's in 1 year alone. Get your facts straight before you start spewing your sewage onto the forums. Next, I could careless if I win or lose. Careless about my ELO. I play for fun. You are always going to be up against a better player, no matter how far you go in the game, so what's it matter? Anyways, its just a game! Are you seeing more into it? Your problem. Not mine.

LAWRENCE_PLAYZ

actually, i recommend u watch IM John Bartholomew's climbing the ratings ladder series and Chess Talkvotechess.png

krazykat1975

That was Ryans friend, my mistake, IMBacon

scrabblechecs

Yes it’s good

IMBacon
krazykat1975 wrote:

Ian Sinclair, just to set the record straight, my ELO has sky rocketed from the 1200's to 1400's in 1 year alone. Get your facts straight before you start spewing your sewage onto the forums. Next, I could careless if I win or lose. Careless about my ELO. I play for fun. You are always going to be up against a better player, no matter how far you go in the game, so what's it matter? Anyways, its just a game! Are you seeing more into it? Your problem. Not mine.

You dont need to explain.  You have already done that.  Sometimes people just dont listen.

IMBacon
krazykat1975 wrote:

That was Ryans friend, my mistake, IMBacon

<PHEW>  Glad we got that cleared up.  I thought you knew someone i was supposed to know, but didn't know...ya know?

krazykat1975

happy.png

KraigUK
I’ve been playing chess for about 3 months now, and I’ve went from 670 to 1070 in that time.

Study end games first; whether that’s in a book or on YouTube. Once you have a fundamental understanding of pawn end games, rook and pawn, and how to mate with rook, queen and bishops, you should see a surge in your rating.

I’m obviously still brand new to the game. The difference between when I was 670 and say, 970 is just knowing end games and a bit more tactics.
I’ve gained 60 points in the last 2 days and I’m on track for 1100 today or tomorrow. The second boost from 900-1100 is mainly just polishing end games, learning some fork traps, and double checking the squares I’m moving too. I ask myself “is this a safe move?” Even if the square I’m moving to is safe, does my opponent have an immediate threat from his position? - if you ask yourself those questions - and minimise your blunders - that’ll be the next surge in ratings.

I haven’t even really studied openings or such like, just yet.

My goal is to reach 1,300-1,500 by month 6.

Oh, last tip: stay away from short time controls. You want to think first, get an eye for patterns and traps first, before playing anything less than 10 min games imo.
JosephReidNZ

Practise more. Be motivated

Froghammer

JosephReidNZ

Try doing tactics 

Daybreak57
I’m starting to wonder if these one line posters saying they want to improve with no specifics are trolls hoping to waste our time?? Chess.com needs a sticky for this topic, giving core beginner info that will answer most questions. This same question has been asked hundreds of times, and the easy answer lies in a simple google search.
IMBacon
Daybreak57 wrote:
I’m starting to wonder if these one line posters saying they want to improve with no specifics are trolls hoping to waste our time?? Chess.com needs a sticky for this topic, giving core beginner info that will answer most questions. This same question has been asked hundreds of times, and the easy answer lies in a simple google search.

If you look at the vast majority of these type of posts.  They all have one thing in common.

They all play nothing but blitz, bullet, and rapid.  And cant understand why they aren't getting any better.

yakuza_ronin

to their defense...john bartholomew did say 15m+10sec (rapid) was ok to learn and he's a chess god.  although there was a disclaimer that he would really recommend much slower games which agrees with you hehe.

kindaspongey
Daybreak57 wrote:
I’m starting to wonder if these one line posters saying they want to improve with no specifics are trolls hoping to waste our time?? ...

If the goal is to waste time, couldn't you defeat this intention by ignoring the post? Is a posted angry reaction perhaps something that would encourage such hypothetical trolls?

kindaspongey

"I've gotten up to 600. Been struggling to get even close to that. What do i do?" - RighteousInc (May 6, 2019)

"... stop playing blitz; even 10 min …" -daxypoo (May 6, 2019)

"... Looks like you only play 10 minute games - this is not long enough if you want to improve. …" - Strangemover (May 6, 2019)

"... do longer time controls …" - coleblakeman01 (May 6, 2019)

"... STOP PLAYING BLITZ …" - krikorian12 (May 6, 2019)

"... Awesome guys. Thanks for the feedback!!!🤙🏽🤙🏽🤙🏽" - RighteousInc (May 6, 2019)

IMBacon wrote (~2 hours ago):
Daybreak57 wrote:
I’m starting to wonder if these one line posters saying they want to improve with no specifics are trolls hoping to waste our time?? ... This same question has been asked hundreds of times, and ...

If you look at the vast majority of these type of posts.  They all have one thing in common.

They all play nothing but blitz, bullet, and rapid.  And cant understand why they aren't getting any better.

Is there any specific reason to suppose that RighteousInc "cant" understand what was indicated by daxypoo, Strangemover, coleblakeman01, and krikorian12?

JosephReidNZ

tactics.pngevil.png