Forums

Illegal Position Contest!

Sort:
Critica7

Oh. Yeah you're right. All 3 are illegal.

MARattigan
Aaron0608 wrote:
Critica7 wrote:
eric0022 wrote:

All three of those positions are legal. Contrived, admittedly, but legal. 

I think that all three are illegal 

Certainly. The black pawn layout is illegal by itself in the first one and the second rank pawns block the kings from reaching their destinations in the second.

MARattigan
GMchess_player wrote:

I think you forgot to put the board upside down.

taupuri1

Nicholas166

Aaron0608
taupuri1 wrote:

That might be legal

Aaron0608

in 960

eric0022
Aaron0608 wrote:

in 960

Nope; the pieces must be opposite each other. If a White bishop occupies a1, then there must be a Black bishop occupying a8. And so on.

Nicholas166

Ok......

taupuri1

Eric0022👍🏾

EaglesFan11
taupuri1 wrote:

Good one!

soneill6092

eric0022

Nordlandia

null

Klemens82
Nordlandia wrote:

hehe happy.png This is wonderful. Could one call it"forced to win because of arbiters intervention"?

Critica7

So, sorry, eric0022, but that position is legal.

Klemens82
Critica7 wrote:

I don't think it is because eric0022's board has the square h8 on the lower left corner which means it's Black's starting position. On your posted board it is a1 which is White's starting position.

And e.g.  I don't think there is any legal way in which the two white pawns can get to be on the g and h files while blacks pawns on these g and h files have advanced. happy.png

And certainly there can not be a white pawn on a3 when there are white pawns at a2 and b2. themes.png

Nordlandia

@Klemens82: i think it depends who is the arbiter at the moment. Position is hypothetical by exploting loophole.

Critica7
Klemens82 wrote:
Critica7 wrote:

I don't think it is because eric0022's board has the square h8 on the lower left corner which means it's Black's starting position. On your posted board it is a1 which is White's starting position.

And e.g.  I don't think there is any legal way in which the two white pawns can get to be on the g and h files while blacks pawns on these g and h files have advanced.

And certainly there can not be a white pawn on a3 when there are white pawns at a2 and b2.

Crap! Made the same mistake twice!

Nicholas166

Sad