Forums

possible or impossible?

Sort:
andrewjmen

It's like two weeks ago that I've been posting anything but I made another one, there are still problems open, because I do want an analyses/game. Here's my new one:

shoopi

Black's last move seems to be Kg3-h2, and white's last move seems to be Bxf2+.

Black's b pawn promoted on a1 by capturing the only white piece available for capture - a rook, and h pawn promoted on h1.

In order for white to have two dark-square bishop promotions, his e pawn must have promoted on d8/f8, and h pawn on h8 (more efficient than d8/f8) for a total of 3 captures. Black's e pawn in this scenario seems to be useless to me. That leaves black with 1 extra piece (dark-square bishop, rook or queen) to be captured later on f2.

Other than that I cannot see any difficulties at the moment - alas I do not have time to make a proof game. Perhaps someone else can, or find a flaw in my analysis.

andrewjmen

You're right Shoopi! maybe someone else can post a proof game on this position (or my other positions).

andrewjmen

Here's one I made today, I kind of like the answer, but I don't think it's hard, after you've thought a little...

andrewjmen

Good Job Mashanator! You've found the right answer!

andrewjmen

Yes, you're also right

Nordlandia

Here is mine: can this pawn formation occur when castling queenside. And have it ever happened in one serious game before?

Scottrf

No, how would you get the bishop out?

Nordlandia
Scottrf wrote:

No, how would you get the bishop out?

enemy knight of course.

Scottrf

Doh!

Nordlandia

knights on either e2, b3, e7, b6 for black. But seriously i highly doubt such position have arived during tournament playing. Online blitz and bullet it's a complete different story...

Still while i think about it, it can't have been many cases of enemy knights been allowed to infiltrate the camp and just take the bishop and retreat the same way out. Also the King can not have been touched earlier.

Owlmoon
Nordlandia

isn't it possible to setup that pawn formation in chessbase's "find similar positions", with the king and rook at its original squares with queenside castling enabled.  Owlmoon i can't remove the black king so i mirrored the formation for black as well - to be honest one side is satisfying enough.