Forums

A game with 0 blunders, which is good for me lol

Sort:
Cade_Bryan

Cade_Bryan

Any help would be great like if my thoughts were okay, i really tried to find a point for every move even if it was a bad one :)

Cade_Bryan

15min/10 sec inc

seidel

30... Qd6 i think it's better

Cade_Bryan
seidel wrote:

30... Qd6 i think it's better

i didnt even think about that lol does seem like a way better move.

EpicBen13

What about 18... Bxb4?

shepi13

4. e3 is bad, 4... Bf5 might become akward later, there are ideas of Qb3, e4 pawn sacrifices might later be painful, etc.

5. a4 doesn't make any sense, and is a dumb move.

I don't agree with 5... a6 - are you just trying to make his move look good? - now a4 is suddenly useful (imagine the position after 5. Nc3 a6 - a4 is a very viable white option instead of a move that randomly gives up b4 and neglects development). Instead you should have probably finished development, with Nf6, e6, Nc6, Bd6, 0-0, etc.

Qb3 - the first good move that white makes.

Qd7 is slightly akward (and might just lose to some wierd tactic), but the only other move is Bc8 which is just horrible.

h3 is a complete waste, and g4 is weakening. You are right about you comments about white's kingside, but with no development it should still be mostly solid for white. However, the bishop is misplaced on g2, white's lost all of his attack, and black should just be equal.

Perhaps white should play Nf3, intending Ne5 with an advantage. Also note that white's idea is fundamentally wrong, he is trying to play on both sides of the board. For example if Nf3 Nc6? Ne5 is strong, Nxe5? dxe5 wins the d5 pawn so the queen must move, hanging a pawn. Nf3 e6 Ne5 is also very annoying for black, Nb5 sacrifices might come into play, white should probably just be winning.

h6 seems to just waste time, Bd6, Be7, or Nc6 all aiming to complete development were better. Perhaps one strong line is Nc6 g5 Nb4! when gxf6?? Bc2 Qa3 Nd3+ wins the queen for without enough compensation. Therefore, if g5 isn't a threat after Nc6, h6 is probably just a wasted move.

Is there anything wrong with 12... Nb4 0-0 (otherwise Nc2+ or Nd3+) Bc2 Qa3 Bd3 and Nc2 is a very strong threat, while white's queen cannot go to b3 again due to Bc4. It's still probably fine to finish development before attack though, unless you are certain the attack will win.

I'm still wondering why white never played Nf3-e5, it's just screaming in this position.

I don't know if you are better in the position after move 14, white can play a5 and make use of b6 and his pieces are mostly active. White doesn't have that much of an edge though, and he should probably continue by Rc1, a5, with an edge I would say. However, after wasting a move with Bf3 you do gain a lot of play.

Be2?? might be a blunder.

I don't know what was wrong with taking b4 on move 18.

d4 is isolated but you never can really attack it. g5 is too early and maybe even the wrong pawn break, white might be able to prove something if he prepares it or plays for f5. I would rater play Bxe4 as dxe4 closes the bishop, but it does open the d file to attack d4.

g6 is weakening, and maybe even the immediate h5 is strong.

f3 makes no sense, h4 is hanging, and f3 blocks his bishop and weakens his king.

g5? - why are you oening your king, just bring more pieces to the kingside and white will have to defend well to avoid mate.

White sacrifices a rook for no reason, and you respond by taking a bishop?? It's probably fine because you have so many mating threats, (and both moves are winning) but I would take the rook without thinking. He should of course play the pawn down ending and try to draw instead of a miserable sacrifice.

Cade_Bryan
shepi13 wrote:

4. e3 is bad, 4... Bf5 might become akward later, there are ideas of Qb3, e4 pawn sacrifices might later be painful, etc.

5. a4 doesn't make any sense, and is a dumb move.

I don't agree with 5... a6 - are you just trying to make his move look good? - now a4 is suddenly useful (imagine the position after 5. Nc3 a6 - a4 is a very viable white option instead of a move that randomly gives up b4 and neglects development). Instead you should have probably finished development, with Nf6, e6, Nc6, Bd6, 0-0, etc.

Qb3 - the first good move that white makes.

Qd7 is slightly akward (and might just lose to some wierd tactic), but the only other move is Bc8 which is just horrible.

h3 is a complete waste, and g4 is weakening. You are right about you comments about white's kingside, but with no development it should still be mostly solid for white. However, the bishop is misplaced on g2, white's lost all of his attack, and black should just be equal.

Perhaps white should play Nf3, intending Ne5 with an advantage. Also note that white's idea is fundamentally wrong, he is trying to play on both sides of the board. For example if Nf3 Nc6? Ne5 is strong, Nxe5? dxe5 wins the d5 pawn so the queen must move, hanging a pawn. Nf3 e6 Ne5 is also very annoying for black, Nb5 sacrifices might come into play, white should probably just be winning.

h6 seems to just waste time, Bd6, Be7, or Nc6 all aiming to complete development were better. Perhaps one strong line is Nc6 g5 Nb4! when gxf6?? Bc2 Qa3 Nd3+ wins the queen for without enough compensation. Therefore, if g5 isn't a threat after Nc6, h6 is probably just a wasted move.

Is there anything wrong with 12... Nb4 0-0 (otherwise Nc2+ or Nd3+) Bc2 Qa3 Bd3 and Nc2 is a very strong threat, while white's queen cannot go to b3 again due to Bc4. It's still probably fine to finish development before attack though, unless you are certain the attack will win.

I'm still wondering why white never played Nf3-e5, it's just screaming in this position.

I don't know if you are better in the position after move 14, white can play a5 and make use of b6 and his pieces are mostly active. White doesn't have that much of an edge though, and he should probably continue by Rc1, a5, with an edge I would say. However, after wasting a move with Bf3 you do gain a lot of play.

Be2?? might be a blunder.

I don't know what was wrong with taking b4 on move 18.

d4 is isolated but you never can really attack it. g5 is too early and maybe even the wrong pawn break, white might be able to prove something if he prepares it or plays for f5. I would rater play Bxe4 as dxe4 closes the bishop, but it does open the d file to attack d4.

g6 is weakening, and maybe even the immediate h5 is strong.

f3 makes no sense, h4 is hanging, and f3 blocks his bishop and weakens his king.

g5? - why are you oening your king, just bring more pieces to the kingside and white will have to defend well to avoid mate.

White sacrifices a rook for no reason, and you respond by taking a bishop?? It's probably fine because you have so many mating threats, (and both moves are winning) but I would take the rook without thinking. He should of course play the pawn down ending and try to draw instead of a miserable sacrifice.

thx a ton, i learned a lot! going over all this.

Cliff86rulz

What about 38... Bxd7 rather than taking the bishop, its less material, but you'll win his pawn in a few moves, and without a rook, you're opponent pretty much hopeless.

Cade_Bryan
Cliff86rulz wrote:

What about 38... Bxd7 rather than taking the bishop, its less material, but you'll win his pawn in a few moves, and without a rook, you're opponent pretty much hopeless.

you're right, it was something i missed :P we were both low on time so i took the first thing i saw.

Cliff86rulz
Cade_Bryan wrote:
Cliff86rulz wrote:

you're right, it was something i missed :P we were both low on time so i took the first thing i saw.

The 1100 player spots something, this is major news! Smile

Nice win though, can't find anything else, haha.

NJFrancis

Hey, I just found this post looking through past forums and here are my thoughts...

15. Nb4 not the strongest move - but still decent (something like Na5 attacking white’s queen would be preferable – but still not a bad idea trying to trap the queen :p).

24. g6 not the best move - if you were looking to get your rook involved Rc8 would’ve been a better move. (However the best move here would be a5)

30. Getting that the rook sitting on a8 involved would have been ideal here instead of pushing the pawn. i.e.(30. Rac8)

38. Should’ve just taken the hanging rook on d7... but I understand you were pretty short on time.

Overall a pretty solid game - well played.