Forums

Crushing a high level computer

Sort:
mvg17reddevil

Hi everyone, I decided using chess.com for live games is pretty pointless as I'm not that strong in the fundamentals of chess to be playing rapid games yet (let alone Blitz or Bullet)

So I decided to sit down, put some hardwork and play classical chess with a very high level computer. And now my use of chess.com is to ask for feedback from some fantastic players.

Today was the first game (of a 12 game match that I've planned over the fortnight) and I surprisingly won! Here is the game. Tell me where I could have played better

Time Taken by me: 62 minutes...time taken by computer: 23 minutes.......it was the maximum level of that particular application

Any feedbacks welcome

Debistro

Was this one of the Chessmaster personalities? It gave away a piece.

Zigwurst

I wouldn't say that you crushed it.

mvg17reddevil

@Zigwurst - Ha ha....yeah mate...I was very inaccurate with some moves I can sense that. Beating a very high level computer in 32 moves is new ground for me. Sorry for the excitement

@Debistro - No it was an IPad app. I guess it had some quick checkmate if I had played a bad move in that stage. Computers always seem to value hanging on to pawns...or maybe it thought it could reduce it to a knight and pawns vs (2 extra) Pawns endgame...I would have lost that!

doodledoo3

Nice game!

doodledoo3

Chesserman63 wrote:

Nice game!

lol

mrtampa2

You actually played it well, I would not consider it a high level computer software. But I admit most of your reasoning was correct and you played higher than what your rating suggests.

mvg17reddevil

@MrTampa and @Chesserman63 - Thanks

But in game 2, computer struck back. A poorly executed semi slav defence...I didn't make blunders per se but the positional mistakes were bad enough to swallow me up. And I took 70 minutes to build up this woeful shape which it easily crushed

mvg17reddevil

The third game ended in a draw. The computer surprisingly played a Queen's Gambit Accepted line with a strange 3 ..e5 which I've rarely encountered. So I simplified the game and came of better in the opening but dilly dallyed with a bishop and lost a pawn leading to an hour and a half long struggle to pull off a draw. Please, give some feedbacks on whether my play was anywhere near acccurate enough (I would use engines but they suggest non human moves which cause lots of practical problems if implemented)