Forums

Post your best miniatures here

Sort:
PawnInHand

Najdorf-ish counterpoint to an opponent's Bowdler attack (2.Bc4).

T-P-D

pretty good right?

Barefoot_Player

Pretty good for what???

Both sides made blunders, there was  no planning involved with many of the moves, and it wasn't even a miniature.

And this was the best you could offer?

xxdragonxxyz
Did he  lose on purpose?

chadnilsen
xxdragonxxyz wrote:

Did he  lose on purpose?

No, it's not like a 400 performance. He played like a 971 rated player, oh wait, that is his rating. Wow I must be good at guessing ratings...anyway, 971 is pretty bad. I remember having a rating like that. By the way, was that a bullet game?

xxdragonxxyz

its not a bullet game it is a 10 minutes blitz game and believe me .those players aren't that bad. I have never seen a 971 to fall for scholarsmate and they also recognize other mating threats(often also see some mating combnations.when i was way lower rated i have sawn some games by 600s that played better than him by far 

chuddog

Some caveman-style speed chess, with a queen sac to end it. It's a bit of an unusual mating pattern.

Barefoot_Player

Good one chuddog! =)

Ziryab

Sometimes a miniature begins with a mouse-slip. I meant to play 1.e4. Also, I played on the iPad, so it wasn't the mouse that slipped, but rather my finger.

Master_Po

The Amsterdam Attack  Bold black print is how the game actually went; the sidelines were very interesting too.  

chuddog
Barefoot_Player wrote:

Good one chuddog! =)

Well then, here is one more. This is bullet. Only a double piece sac, not a queen sac.

chuddog
Master_Po wrote:

The Amsterdam Attack  Bold black print is how the game actually went; the sidelines were very interesting too.  

I don't see what's interesting about the game or the sidelines. Black blundered horrribly with 6...Bg4?? and the game was over instantly.

Honestly, that describes 99% of the games posted here. One guy blunders, and the other guy simply collects what's given to him. Why is this interesting? Would you watch a highlight reel of Michael Jordan dunking over a 5-year-old girl?

To make a good miniature, there has to be some resistance by the loser. Doesn't anyone have games where they had to use some tactical vision, or technique, or creativity, or any sort of effort? (Converting an extra piece does not count as effort.) That's what I've tried to post, and it would be nice to see some actual nice games, not blunderfests.

MayCaesar

Here is one I enjoyed tremendously, a 3 minute game:

We both made some mistakes, but I think the exchange sacrifice was nice. Didn't have time to consider the variations, it just felt right (the king is at the center, I should be able to get something done by removing his right to castle).

@chuddog: I see your point, but you have to consider that not everyone is a FM here. wink.png For us mortals, the threshold for excitement may be quite a bit lower. I'd love to post some impeccable miniature, but I simply don't play chess on high enough level for that, and, pretty much, anything I post will have a lot of mistakes on both sides. Not necessarily 1-move blunders, but still.

Barefoot_Player

@ MayCaesar: “I see your point, but you have to consider that not everyone is a FM here. For us mortals, the threshold for excitement may be quite a bit lower.”

As are standards of ability.

We all know that one gets excited about winning a game, esp. a miniature. But I thought this is a forum where the standard was “best” games, not the level of excitement.

Are you really supporting elementary examples of Scholar’s Mate we’ve seen here in the past?

As far your last game, White wins after 26.Nf3+. Why is this move neglected? At least I assume it’s neglected. Why show an incomplete game? Or is this not a miniature? Did you win on time? No annotations? Why is 21.Qf3+ a better move than 21.f4+? Why is this a good game?

This is careless and lousy editing. Or maybe you really don’t care about the game. And if you show you don’t care, why should we?

gchess33

Took advantage of a tactical opportunity in a Bullet game and won by simple means.

MayCaesar
Barefoot_Player wrote:

As far your last game, White wins after 26.Nf3+. Why is this move neglected? At least I assume it’s neglected. Why show an incomplete game? Or is this not a miniature? Did you win on time? No annotations? Why is 21.Qf3+ a better move than 21.f4+? Why is this a good game?

This is careless and lousy editing. Or maybe you really don’t care about the game. And if you show you don’t care, why should we?

My opponent resigned on the 24th turn, when I was going to play 24. Nd7+; what 26.Nf3+? I made a comment on the game right after it, because I thought the exchange sacrifice was the main point of it and I saw many people on the same page post games without a commentary. 21. f4 seemed slower and less to the point to me, although computer reasonably suggests that it is better. I don't know if it is a good game, it is just a game with an idea I thought was nice (11. Nxe4).

cagridemirdelen

I used to be able to annonate the games but I do not know how to do it in this new site I'm sorry.I will be glad if somebody helps me 

Barefoot_Player

cag,

This is not a miniature, Not even a good game. 

Why even post it?? There are other forums to post games.

cag, get a PGN reader and then annotate there. Then post the game in the appropriate forum. By the way, it looks like 10.bxc3 may be better than 10.Bxc3. But this you would have to figure out yourself.

Ben_Dubuque

Maybe not my best game, also thanks Barefoot for being a constant presence. 

Barefoot_Player

Thanks Ben!