Forums

That's Tal.... Mikhail Tal

Sort:
Radical_Drift

Hello,

I recently finished a game in which I pulled off a smothered mate! I thought the title would be funny because Tal is one of the greatest attacking players in the history of the game. He also said, "You don't need to play well. You just have to play better than your opponent." This game is a complete illustration of this: My opponent blundered constantly, allowing me to complete an awesome attack. In other words, this attack is not perfect, but wonderfully entertaining. Nonetheless, comments are well appreciated (though I think you'll probably cringe at all the blunders I make that my opponent doesn't punish).

learningthemoves

Got to love mating with the smother. Thanks for sharing.

Radical_Drift

Hehe, thanks! :) I just hate that if Black played 27...Kf8, I would have been screwed. Oh well.

Radical_Drift

Teehee, I'm glad he missed that one ;)

Razdomillie

I've only pulled off one smothered mate in my life, and it wasn't even sound... I was just lucky that my opponent took a piece with their rook rather than their king.

Radical_Drift
Razdomillie wrote:

I've only pulled off one smothered mate in my life, and it wasn't even sound... I was just lucky that my opponent took a piece with their rook rather than their king.

Well, good job anyway! It's a lovely pattern :]