Forums

100-rated players are way too good

Sort:
Fire
Arsenic03 wrote:
llama36 wrote:
Arsenic03 wrote:

There is too many sandbaggers on this site, I even recently played a 900 rated player and plays like a 1300 player like me, I don't think the rating system here is accurate.

The system is very accurate. It's relatively simple (and well tested) math.

In practice it may not be working for various reasons, but for example encountering a single sandbagger or cheater doesn't mean anything. The fact that ratings are stable when averaged over several games at a time means the system is working well.

I don't think so, 900-1200 here are playing almost a perfect game even though in reality 900-1200 is like beginner's level, hangs pieces all the time, I am pretty sure I am underrated on this site because I am 1900 lichess but I recently closed my account in there because it is hard to maintain and play perfectly all the time, here I am 1300 rated player.

Lichess rating systems are easier to get points, if you are under 2200 then your ratings will be a lot different 

TgmaxDELTA

I think I'm stuck in an eternal loop of being around 100, because I can beat the 1000 elo bot while being up 20 points, all he took was my knight and bishop. But somehow a 100 elo player can play like a 1500 elo bot, and believe me I know the bots elo is inflated but theirs no way 1300-1500 elo of a bot is equal to 100 elo of a person. So if anyone knows why or how I am always losing to 100 elo people. Please respond to this.

AlexiZalman

TgmaxDELTA: From about half a dozen of your games:-

(1) You have no sense of basic opening principles. 

You moved a pawn first then a piece and generally continued to move the same piece for multiple moves.

(2) You ignored your opponents' moves and consequently lost pieces.

It is not enough to only consider your own threats, you have to consider the opponent's.

(3) You resign too early.

Just because you have lost a piece doesn't mean the game is over at your level.

Here is my advice for QUICK improvement without much additional effort:-

The COBRA system.

(C) Castle First!

As your openings are poor, just aim to castle your King in the first few moves. Move the King's Knight first (towards the centre!) , then the Knight's pawn then put the King's bishop into the vacated square g2/g7 then castle. Do this irrespective of playing White/Black. This is not the approved way to play openings and is a bit crude, but it's a very simple approach till to get better results. With this opening/defence most of the time it doesn't really matter what moves your opponent's plays. At the very least this will lengthen your games as there is no way to quickly checkmate a castled King and generally reduces the opening threats of your opponents such that their pieces tend to become uncoordinated (no plan) and subject to exploitation.

(O) Opponent First!

After your opponent's move ALWAYS ask yourself what does the move threaten, do this BEFORE you consider your move. This will reduce piece loses. You need to practice during games, it will not be easy to change your thinking process but efforts in this direction will yield fast results.

(B) Be Stubborn!

The aim of chess is checkmating the king. No matter what the material imbalance is play on till a checkmate occurs. This maybe dishearten when you lose a piece but you might be surprised how often an opponent subsequently loses a piece as well.

(R) Play Like A Rat!

Be patient and become a scavenger of opponents' mistakes. This is a very useful gaming strategy that can often be deployed. By no means the best strategy but a strategy for all that. When after (C) above think in terms of moving pieces to always be protected and interconnected. Bide your time and be very wary of your opponents threats, opportunities will come with time.

This gaming strategy will quite easily beat all the sub-1000 Bots - in my experience there is pretty must no difference in gameplay strength with these Bots, they will all throw you a piece, usually a Queen, and they seem to encourage weird opening play to boot - and as such they are very poor learning/improvement tools for beginners, imo. 

(A) Ace 1-Move Checkmates!

Practice Puzzles, use the custom format to select ONLY 1-move checkmates. Aim to do a few of these before playing.  You might want to alternate between playing and puzzles. Don't expect a fast payoff from doing this, but long term you will gain.

You will not get magically better just by playing, for most people non-playing efforts are required. ANY plan of improvement puts you ahead of beginners, so work on gaining this advantage.

Lastly - and the BEST advice which requires far more dedicated effort - get a Beginners book on Chess. You need one, pretty much any one will do! A much slower alternative is to start doing the on-line lessons, chess.com is a bit mean with these but the sooner you start the better.

Aside: Looking at few of your recent games, I saw nothing remarkable about your opponents. 

blunderbus67

Anyone can play a perfect ish game when things are obvious.... Those great seeming 900 to 1000 players will be battered by 1600-2000 players. When I had a chess breakdown and grenaded my previous account I also felt there were really strong players at lower levels. As said above, it's appears a strong game from your opponent when your hanging pieces or not applying pressure in counter attacks

NangSuatTikTok

It's sad to be stuck at a certain range of elo in a long time.

We can't really do much to deal with sandbaggers.

You may consider closing your account and start a new one with higher elo to avoid them.

(Make sure you don't fall back to the previous elo range 😅)

CarlsenMagni

maybe u should focus On Playing chess a bit until ur 300 ELO

OliviaLiangzi

Kids, when people decided to whine instead of better equipped themselves, they won't progress any further in their ratings. Reflect your ownself before putting blame on others.

CarlsenMagni

atharva_aaj

To Tgmaxdelta, you should learn opening principles such as control the center and develop the pieces on the safe squares and towards the center.