Forums

1984/1985 Kasparov v Karpov

Sort:
PhilipApostolakopoul

After the horendous string of draws between Garry/Anatoly, it got "postoponed" in 1984.

Were there any rule changes before the 1985 "re-mathc" began? I have a feeling there were - as requested by Garry - but cannot really find any more info or anything specific on the topic.....

advancededitingtool1

Garri Kasparov by Gufeld and Bjelica,
1986-8 two-volume work
Good work on the subject, bought both, a long time ago.

PhilipApostolakopoul

i aint reading a 2-volume book for a 2-line responce.

but thanks for your non-spam contribution!

advancededitingtool1

The rationale behind the so many draws was to make Karpov nervous since he was leading in the match in which he had to score a number of wins to win the match. Fischer was of a different opinion. The two had played 48 games, a record-shattering match in which draws did not figure in the scoring and the title was to go to the player winning six games. At one time Karpov led 5 to 0. The second had a 24-game limit. They played the full 24 games, with Kasparov winning by a 13-to-11 score.

PhilipApostolakopoul

so the whole rigmarole resulted in that specific change: An upper limit of games was set.....

thanks

BronsteinPawn

Horendous string of draws?
Did you look at the games or do you only saw the results, I dont think those games were GM 20 move draws.

NUB.

advancededitingtool1

Know your enemy and find its weaknesses.

PhilipApostolakopoul
BronsteinPawn wrote:

Did you look at the games or do you only saw the results, I dont think those games were GM 20 move draws.

NUB.

what do you mean by "GM 20 move draws"? i am geuinely asking a question here and instead of giving me data you are speaking in some code and asking me questions I do not really understand.....

likewise for advancededitingtool1 who said: "Know your enemy and find its weaknesses."

what on earth does that mean?

crisy
[COMMENT DELETED]
afistfullofsardines

ok, so asking a simple question on a forum designed to give helpful answers is bothering people. cool.

BronsteinPawn
PhilipApostolakopoul escribió:
BronsteinPawn wrote:

NUB.

what do you mean by "GM 20 move draws"? i am geuinely asking a question here and instead of giving me data you are speaking in some code and asking me questions I do not really understand.....

likewise for advancededitingtool1 who said: "Know your enemy and find its weaknesses."

what on earth does that mean?

GM draws mean that the 2 players just went to the board, premoved 20 moves of well known theory and agreed to a draw.

Wolf183

I actually have the book on the abandoned Karpov-Kasparov match of 1984-85 (the final game was played in February 1985) and can fill in a few details. First, the match was canceled (not postponed) after Kasparov had won two games in a row to reduce Karpov's lead to 5-3 because Karpov allegedly was too ill to continue. The match had changed the venue for the 48th game and FIDE PresidentFlorencio Campomames stated that he stopped the match because "24x2=48." Both Karpov and Kasparov objected at the press conference announcing this decision. 

As already mentioned, the 1985 match was a best of 24 contest with both players starting from scratch and the world champion Karpov having draw odds. For the query as to the nature of the lengthy series of drawn games, a quick perusal reveals that after Karpov took a 4-0 lead, about 20 of the games were drawn in 25 moves or less, several from advantageous positions on both sides.

PhilipApostolakopoul

thanks dude.....