A 3000 could easily beat a 2000, but could a 4000 easily beat a 3000?

chessLLXX

стокфиш лохотрон

EndgameStudier

Mate in 262 if anyone's interested

EndgameStudier

Yes

2Kf21-0

Meh still 4000 clap 3ks cheeks

2Kf21-0

Don't forget it's a 1k mod

George1st

ofc he she could, I've beaten 2'500s often and I'm 5hundred something.

So I wouldn't let it strain your minds too much, I've just answered and solved the mystery for you all. : )))

EndgameStudier

2,500s or two 500s?

EndgameStudier

Hikaru is 3440 in Bullet what the...

Elroch

He is very good at it. Has trouble against Magnus when it matters though.

Steven-ODonoghue
EndgameStudier wrote:

Hikaru is 3440 in Bullet what the...

Due to the 150 point inflation IIRC

Elroch

No. As time controls get shorter, the bell curve gets wider. It turns out that a weaker player has a better chance of holding their own when each player has more time. Thus the top of the bullet rating graph is higher than that of the standard time controls graph (say FIDE) and the top of the unassisted correspondence chess rating graph is lower. 

Of course, it is also important to align the ratings at some point such as the median, but that is a separate issue, no way explaining the difference between 3400 and 2800 (rough top of the two distributions).

EndgameStudier
Levent_Acemi wrote:

It's impossible because of 50 move rule. Maximum possible with rules is mate in 197.

Exactly why the 50 move rule should not exist. Instead, of two players are frolicking around in a drawish position, have the arbiter just declare that if the game does not end in a half hour after the 50th move, it's a draw. If the grandmaster could play out the 200 moves speedy fast in bullet style, who cares if it goes beyond 50? It's about wasting time, not moves.

EndgameStudier
Elroch wrote:

No. As time controls get shorter, the bell curve gets wider. It turns out that a weaker player has a better chance of holding their own when each player has more time. Thus the top of the bullet rating graph is higher than that of the standard time controls graph (say FIDE) and the top of the unassisted correspondence chess rating graph is lower. 

Of course, it is also important to align the ratings at some point such as the median, but that is a separate issue, no way explaining the difference between 3400 and 2800 (rough top of the two distributions).

Are you more referring to the Interquartile range?

Elroch

The variance, standard deviation, interquartile range - all of these are larger on the wider bell-shaped curve of bullet ratings. (The lower end of the distribution likely gets truncated, because a lot of players are perfectly well aware there is no point in playing bullet because they cannot find moves that are even mostly passable quickly enough. If a player finds blitz too fast, they likely won't  bother with bullet).

EndgameStudier

With increments, total time is less meaningful, that's one substitute for the 50 move rule, get rid of the increments.

Gabriel1326
Yeah I think the players above 3000 would be naturally more equal to each other
EndgameStudier

I agree, because the number of chess games in finite, ratings aren't.

ThePunisher_007

If there is a realistic chance of a winning position say in a bishop-knight endgame or an opposite coloured bishop with a majority on one side, yes the arbiter imo should allow the game to continue, but your non-sensical position @EndgameStudier should not because 1. It takes 232 moves and 2. No human would ever find that happy.png

Elroch

That's crucially flawed reasoning: it can be a lot quicker to mate if the defending player errs.

Elroch
EndgameStudier wrote:

I agree, because the number of chess games in finite, ratings aren't.

Nonsense. The (integer) ratings between 3000 and 3000000000 are also finite, and minuscule compared with the number of chess games.